Author Topic: Issue  (Read 5328 times)

arunvader

• Scooter
on: May 09, 2013, 05:42:39 pm
Hello everyone

I was riding my bike to work today (33 miles into LA) cruising around 70mph and as I let up on the throttle the bike begun to jerk. (It only happened once) As if fuel was being cut off and then back on and then back off. It was like a jolt for about 5 seconds of power/ no power /no power. Luckily after the 5 seconds the bike started responding again to the throttle.

Do any of you have any idea why this would happen?

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 06:02:15 pm
One thing to check: the ground wire for the fuel system. It's a thin black wire that branches off from the thick main lead bundle, right near the negative battery terminal. Just a few inches back from that branch, it (the thin ground wire) reaches a small plastic tab connector, which may be loose.

You may have to disconnect and remove the battery to get to this area. (Disconnect neg first, then pos; reconnect in reverse)

This is exactly what disabled me in a similar manner a month ago. I taped the connector together securely with electrical tape.

Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 04:30:05 am
sounds like it could be the rev-limiter,  did you down-shift ?
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 04:36:06 am
Check the battery cables, sometimes they get loose, crack or break. 
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

arunvader

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 05:27:36 am
Sure enough after my 12 hour day at work I was cruising home on the 405 and my bike started to act up. So here I am stuck on the side of the road

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 05:48:17 am
Check your battery terminals.  They are notorious for breaking UNDER the plastic insulation.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 01:22:39 pm
Change the plug too, to Iridium. and yeah, check those terminals...

arunvader

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 05:37:44 pm
Thanks for the advice. Sure enough when I removed the battery this morning I found the ground wire for the fuel system unplugged! I taped it back in and will be testing it out this weekend.

Thanks again everyone

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 05:41:14 pm
HOORAY!!! Congratulations!
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

arunvader

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 05:41:11 pm
So I thought I solved my issue, but I guess I haven't. After reconnecting the ground for the fuel injection I took the bike out for another test ride only to find it acting in the same way. I pulled the spark plug and replaced it, which did nothing to help the problem. I'm really starting to think its the rev-limiter.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 06:11:21 pm
Hello everyone

I was riding my bike to work today (33 miles into LA) cruising around 70mph and as I let up on the throttle the bike begun to jerk. (It only happened once) As if fuel was being cut off and then back on and then back off. It was like a jolt for about 5 seconds of power/ no power /no power. Luckily after the 5 seconds the bike started responding again to the throttle.

Do any of you have any idea why this would happen?

It doesn't sound like the rev limiter from what you describe here. If it happens as you roll "OFF" the throttle.  The limiter kicks in as you are reving the heck out of it...as if you were on the highway doing 70 in third gear. The limiter does kill fuel and ignition, but as you open the throttle and over rev it.

If it's doing it OFF throttle...It could be your AFR. Too rich or lean.. How did the old plug look? Any backfiring when it does it ?  Any backfiring when you shift through the gears?  Also, does your MIL light stay on?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

arunvader

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 07:00:35 pm

It doesn't sound like the rev limiter from what you describe here. If it happens as you roll "OFF" the throttle.  The limiter kicks in as you are reving the heck out of it...as if you were on the highway doing 70 in third gear. The limiter does kill fuel and ignition, but as you open the throttle and over rev it.

If it's doing it OFF throttle...It could be your AFR. Too rich or lean.. How did the old plug look? Any backfiring when it does it ?  Any backfiring when you shift through the gears?  Also, does your MIL light stay on?

I put the D & D exhaust on it about a month ago. I will get  a pop everyone once in a while. The plug didn't look bad. My MIL light will come on when the bike is cutting in and out. It has completely shut off on me twice while experiencing the issue, but fired back up after I toggled the kill switch.

The only other change I have done to the bike besides the D & D exhaust was add the K & N filter. (Do you think it could be running to lean or rich causing the issue?)

Thanks

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 07:19:41 pm
  Yes... lean. But unlikely to make your bike stall, unless it was WAY lean. Which could be, without checking after putting on a free flowing exhaust AND filter. Was your plug real WHITE around the center ? Your MIL light will come on as the bike stalls, thats normal. But I would check for any codes by grounding out the purple wire that comes off behind the ECU. Key on...kill switch on..then wait for a series of blinks. We could decipher them if you have any.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

arunvader

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 07:59:20 pm
  Yes... lean. But unlikely to make your bike stall, unless it was WAY lean. Which could be, without checking after putting on a free flowing exhaust AND filter. Was your plug real WHITE around the center ? Your MIL light will come on as the bike stalls, thats normal. But I would check for any codes by grounding out the purple wire that comes off behind the ECU. Key on...kill switch on..then wait for a series of blinks. We could decipher them if you have any.

For a month I have had the exhaust and filter on with no problems... just started last week. The plug was not real white around the center. When I get home tonight I will ground out the purple wire.

Thanks

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 09:26:14 pm
Check your battery terminals.  They are notorious for breaking UNDER the plastic insulation.

Scottie

+1
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5