Author Topic: Lame Top Speed - Lean Condition???  (Read 11124 times)

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 08:23:08 pm
Make sure you order all the screws nuts etc. when you order the adaptor bracket.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: May 13, 2013, 09:02:11 pm
Make sure you order all the screws nuts etc. when you order the adaptor bracket.  ERC

Thanks for the heads up, I would have assumed they came with.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: May 18, 2013, 06:26:12 am
Round 734...

With my last carb settings I was able to achieve a best ever top speed of 87mph.  I know bike is better than that, so yesterday I picked up a 260 main jet to upgrade the current 230.  Bike was running really rich and was loading up so I dropped the needle to the lowest position and it was running better so I took it out for another top speed run.  Results were saddening.  Not only did I lose power but my top speed dropped to 84mph, and it took longer to reach that than it did to reach 87mph previously.  So I went back to the garage, made a quick $40 doing the rear brake pads on an '05 Hardley Ableson that took 20 minutes,    ;D ;D ;D   and went back at the carb.  I pulled out my manual that came with the new Amal and determined that the best move would be to replace the new #3 cut away slide and put back in the 3 1/2 cut away.  Did that and put the needle in the middle position and threw it back together, played with the screws for a few minutes and it was revving real strong.  Didn't have time to take another top speed run because I had to get to work, but it sure was running good on my way to and from work.  My butt dyno said that the acceleration felt the strongest yet, so I went on a side street close to home on my way back and opened it up a little bit.  Hit 70mph really quick, and then some asshole made a sudden lane change 100 feet in front of me with out a signal.  BRAKES WORK!!!

Talking to my local Brit Bike Pro today, Roger, I need to drop my needle jet from a 106 to a 105 and play with needle positions a little bit and I should be pretty damn close to where I need to be.

What and exciting adventure this is!!!

Scottie

P.S.  I had a customer come up to me today and say "Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen an Enfield /Indian."   Boy did that put a smile on my face.    :D  Also, I find riding my Indian to work is taking away from sales.  Every 10th customer or so "Hey!  Is that your Indian out there?!  That is a beautiful bike.  What year is it?  What size engine?  Blah blah blah........."  My co-workers give me so much shit about it.  LOL

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: May 18, 2013, 10:06:31 am
Scottie,
 Please don't go for the 105 needle jet, I really doubt you need it and it may cause very weak, hot running, pinking [pinging] and even holed pistons and / or sieziure. If you must, try it and hopefully you will notice right away that it is too small and switch back to a larger one. As a yardstick, I am also heavily into Triumph Tiger Cubs and only some of the softer tuned later ones ran a 105 needle jet in their very small 375 Monoblocs, most Sports Cubs had 106 in a 376 size. I still would not rule out a 107 improving things for you.
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #34 on: May 18, 2013, 12:11:09 pm
Scottie,
 Please don't go for the 105 needle jet, I really doubt you need it and it may cause very weak, hot running, pinking [pinging] and even holed pistons and / or sieziure. If you must, try it and hopefully you will notice right away that it is too small and switch back to a larger one. As a yardstick, I am also heavily into Triumph Tiger Cubs and only some of the softer tuned later ones ran a 105 needle jet in their very small 375 Monoblocs, most Sports Cubs had 106 in a 376 size. I still would not rule out a 107 improving things for you.
 B.W.

B.W.
Scottie is at nearly a mile high in elevation above sea level in Denver, Colorado..
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: May 18, 2013, 03:52:16 pm
Scottie,
 B.W.

B.W.
Scottie is at nearly a mile high in elevation above sea level in Denver, Colorado..

I also forgot to add that I have a nasty cackle when closing the throttle, but usually only cackles if I completely close the throttle (like between shifts or approaching intersections), indicating that I'm too rich in idle circuit.

Alright, I need to get some coffee in me and go for another top speed run.    :)

Scottie

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: May 18, 2013, 04:44:31 pm
You need to be watching what the spark plug readings are when you are doing this.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: May 18, 2013, 06:04:27 pm
Ace - The plugs actually looked great.  Even the right plug was carbon free with a normal burn.  Here's the kicker though, just finished with my latest top speed run, a lame 81mph.   :(   Pulled over to check the plus and make some screw adjustments.  And while looking at the carb and revving the throttle, mother effing puffs of smoke coming out of the bottom of the manifold.  Got home and sprayed some carb cleaner at the bottom of the manifold and it died almost instantly.  Hitchcocks has the gaskets for super cheap so I'm going to order those up and replace then before I make any more changes.

Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: May 18, 2013, 06:21:54 pm
Scotty check to make sure the puff isn't coming from the bottom of the manifold where it bolts to the carb. Most of them have a small hole drilled in that area to drain out any fuel that may leak past the carb and roll into the cylinder when the bike is sitting. this hole keeps it from getting into the engine and washing the cylinder wall down. It could be another problem. If you have the hole drilled there tape it off and try again.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: May 18, 2013, 06:49:25 pm
It was definitely coming from where the manifold bolts to the cylinder.   But I will take a peak just to make sure.

Scottie

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: May 18, 2013, 06:52:15 pm
You can very easily cut that gasket out of gasket material.
Cork is a very good insulating material, if you want to cut one out of a sheet of cork gasket material.

Warning!!!!
Do NOT over-torque the nuts on that Amal carb mount, because Amals are known to warp the flange if you even look at them too hard.
Not kidding! Go easy on the carb mount nuts. But make sure that it is sealed and on there well. Just don't over-do it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:54:58 pm by ace.cafe »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: May 18, 2013, 10:21:18 pm
Thanks Ace!  I actually keep cork gasket material in my garage, just didn't think it could handle the high temps.  Cool, looks like I'll be cutting new gaskets tomorrow.

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: June 07, 2013, 12:26:04 am
Alrighty!

So I finally have the top end squared away, and for the first time ever actually took a ride on the interstate, and then looped back around thru the country and even did a little dirt.  :D   The bike is running sooooo good.  Nice smooth power and torque as soon as I need it and no more cackling out the exhaust.  It's running so smooth and good I'm having a hard time believing this thing was built in 1958! 

While out in the country I decided it was time to see what it do.  The bike just barked to life as soon as I rolled the throttle open and she just started to rip!  I looked down and I hit an indicated 117mph!!!  I'm pretty damn sure that's good for 102mph actual!!!  I HIT THE TON!!!

AND, my neighbor just stopped by and have me a couple industrial sized bottles of red and blue loctite!

Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: June 07, 2013, 01:17:21 am
You'll need em.   ERC

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: June 07, 2013, 01:45:24 am
Congratulations! Sounds like you're having lots of fun!
Be careful, and enjoy!