Author Topic: My C5 has 170 miles on it and is in the shop!  (Read 8012 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 10:01:10 pm
I know you guys say, oh its just a twitchy, this or that.

What does twitchy mean? The way it handles, or something else? The G5s are certainly not twitchy handling. C5s maybe, I never rode one.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 10:11:21 pm
When I was referring to twitchy, I was talking about the side stand switch.

I have a G5. I messed up the subject of the thread. The bike has been very stable and until yesterday hadn't had any real problems. I am pretty sure this will be more than just the side stand sensor/switch. But I am really looking forward to getting my G5 back and getting on the road.

My motorcycle is secondary transportation for me. I have a Scion XB which is how I do my shopping and carrying stuff. I have to say I still like the bike. I look forward to riding again soon.

e7grunt

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 01:32:48 am
I think this guy posted on here a while back about if this would make a good bike for a new rider. Most if not all comments were yeah go for it. I am a fairly new owner of a 2010 C5 with just under 2000 miles. I bought it from a kid who didnt have a lot of mechanical knowledge. There were quite a few things Ive had to sort out, and more to come yet. I own a 68 BSA which was good practice for "sparky" I also purchased a used 2007 Triumph America used with about as many miles, a few years back. The handle bars were bend wrong from the factory but that is the only issue, sorted that out with Ebay.
10 C5 Royal Enfield
07 Triumph America
99 Yamaha Venture
74 Honda CL 360
68 BSA Starfire

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 03:14:11 am
please don't get pissed at the dealer. he did not design or manufacture your bike. he is responsible for the factory warranty(a damn good one for motorcycles) and will do his best to get you back on the road. if you have perused this forum, you would see many problems discussed and solved by the fellas here. i feel your pain, my horn just stopped functioning and i have to find my multimeter. it's still under warranty, but fremont is 85 miles away. i'm pretty sure i can noodle this one out. good luck, and give it another chance.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 03:28:47 am
Cut Joel some slack.  Take off your rose colored glasses and let's be honest with each other.  The reason RE offers a 2-year unlimited mileage warranty is because they need it to boost consumer confidence in their machines.  While most issues typically are the result of loose connections, other more serious issues have been noticed and documented on this forum as well.

For those of you that don't have the thrill of major metropolitan area driving on a regular basis, near death experiences are a reality when your equipment fails regardless of experience level.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 03:50:42 am
i did say please, didn't i? i can only speak for myself, so i wish joel a happy outcome.

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 04:27:16 am
I think its posts like these, and my own bike experiences, that have made me really appreciate how good my 240 Volvo wagon has been to me. In fact, I think future tinkering money is going into the car, not any other vehicles, and certainly not any more toys for my Royal enfield. The fact is, you can and do get incredibly good service from a number of vehicle brands, and as silly as bikes like the Honda rebel might seem, they are bullet proof.

I bought fuel injjected to avoid carburrated snort and buck, but I get it in spades on this 2012 C5, and taking it for long rides doesn't seem to cure it. It's running very rich and gas mileage aint all that hot. The plug gets fouled fast.  Of course, I took a chance on ised and naturally get no warranty with it. I am not sure that would have made me any happier.

With any luck I will be able to lean the bike out, but I don't have any hopes for it as a commuter anymore, because most of the ride it snorts and bucks, and its just plain too risky in heavy commuter traffic.

Lots of bikes of problems, but at least my Vespa always ran perfectly. That matters in today's world.

I hope Joel finds he gets his bike back quickly. Don't give him so much flack.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 05:46:55 am
I really believe that most problems happen within the first 3000 miles. I'd be willing to bet that polling this forum for problems and miles would show that 90% of the issues happen within the break in period. All the weak links or anything out if tolerance will rear it's head early. Two years is plenty of time to be covered by the warranty and then it's smooth sailing after that.  Regardless,  it's still frustrating to give up your bike while it gets fixed.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 05:50:55 am by jartist »

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 10:15:52 am
+1.What can I say.... had many off the troubles you're currently experiencing , short circuits,blown fuses,side stand troubles cracked muffler... all of which have served to endear this bike to me...I love it...call it character. They aint perfect but they gots soul.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 10:19:06 am
P.S I don't wanna live in a perfect world.....
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 08:26:21 pm
I owned 3 Hinckley Triumphs in a row. They all had more problems than my Enfield did. Most of the problems I had with the Enfield were self induced. That's me self, not it self! Ya know, keep modifying until it's unreliable!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 09:53:38 pm
I'm sorry for your disappointment. You have nice motorcycle. Too bad you don't realize that.
If you want a heartless "plug and play" or "gas and go" ...."the world is your oyster" in a pleathera of other motorcycles.
May I suggest a possible alternative for you:
http://www.twincitiesrider.com/symwolf012.htm
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 10:11:19 pm
I like it so far. I was just disappointed that I had to take it into the shop. I suspect a few more good rides under my belt and all will be ok.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 04:23:39 am
soon it will be home, just like dorothy!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 04:26:39 am
I am somewhat surprised it's taking so long to fix.

Has there been any feedback about what exactly the problem is?  Inquiring minds want to know. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary