Author Topic: My C5 has 170 miles on it and is in the shop!  (Read 8064 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
on: May 08, 2013, 05:05:56 am
I rode my C5 to work today. On the way home it died several times and ran rough, check engine light came on. Took it to the dealer. It looks like at a minimum the side stand kill switch is being evil. So strokers is looking at the bike. I'm pretty certain its all warranty work, but I am still bummed out.

I know you guys say, oh its just a twitchy, this or that.
But frankly if RE has global ambitions..... This isn't good enough.

I was at least able to get the bike back to the dealer and I didn't have a wreck. But there were a couple of moments that were genuinely scary.

Anyway. I will await a call to see what is really wrong with the Motorcycle.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 05:12:38 am
There's a reason many of us disconnected the side stand switch.  I'm betting that's it and they're just being thorough and going through it all.  It sucks for sure but I bet it's back before you know it :)

Scott

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 06:24:09 am
+1 

MANY people here have suffered from the Plague of The Side Stand Switch.  Do like everyone else and just by-pass the damn thing before it haunts you again.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Pauly

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 06:34:18 am
My bet is spark plug fowled
2010 G5
'84 Honda VF45

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 06:46:47 am
whatever it is - its not much to worry about. once your back on the bike all is forgiven. ;)

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 07:08:34 am
I know you guys say, oh its just a twitchy, this or that.
But frankly if RE has global ambitions..... This isn't good enough.

Lol, that's a bit rough, I get that you're bummed but stuff happens and it happens to all brands. Don't go hating :)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 12:46:36 pm
These new bikes are a cake-walk in the park.
You should have seen what the iron barrel Bullet buyers had to go thru.
The ads said, "Makes mechanics out of ordinary men!". And they meant it!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 03:13:52 pm
I was pissed off. But people expect their machines to work.
I suspect its more than just the side stand switch. But I am sure they will figure it out. Its just frustrating.

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 04:03:32 pm
Duh. I was so grumpy when I composed the first message I got the model number wrong. I have a 2011 G5. Doh!

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 06:09:40 pm
     Too often customers will do this. I sell the bike-ANY BIKE, not just Enfields. We go over break-in , maintenance, and WARRANTY. Then the customer comes back FURIOUS because there is a warranty issue. You are holding the company up to an impossible standard of perfection. If this standard of perfection was attainable in real life there would be no need to offer a warranty. Did the dealer blow you off? Did he rudely blame you? Was the bike pushed into storage to await their "convenience" sometime next October? Probably not. That would be something to legitimately be angry about. I understand a certain amount of frustration, but this is truly a minor issue. If you were in that much fear of loss of control or a wreck I would recommend taking a couple of riding courses. These bikes ARE good enough for the global market. I would put them up against any of the Japanese brands. They also offer warranties because they also have warranty issues.

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 06:24:53 pm
I am more calm now. However, I have owned several cars and none of them have had this kind of a problem where the engine died etc. Like I said the shop has been very good and I expect the problem to be resolved. But it does seem to me to be reasonable to expect the bike to work.

Folks now expect their vehicles to run, especially new. I am being very careful to follow the run in procedure exactly and not overtax the machine.

I was able to control the bike when it failed on me and I attribute that to the Motorcycle safety class I took. But loosing power in the middle of a busy intersection in traffic is scary. Its scary period.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 06:26:23 pm
Vince, you gotta remember that no one likes their new toy to be broken even if it will be fixed shortly.  It applies to my three year old and even more to me and all my fellow motorcyclists.

Scott

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 06:32:04 pm
My buddy bought a brand new Triumph Street Triple.  Aesthetic opinions aside, the Street and Speed Triple have been extremely successful machines with stellar reviews. 

His new bike had a faulty thermometer and when it would heat up to normal levels, it would get the signal that it was overheating and cut out on him.  Took a few tries for the dealer to figure it out, but they did and were able to get it running tip-top.

No doubt extremely and justifiably frustrating, and probably not too uncommon for vehicles that aren't produced by the hundreds of thousands.

Warranties are great.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

bikesnob

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 06:47:52 pm
Last year the check engine light came on my 2011 C5 and it started running rough, I took it to my dealer Doug Douglas Motorcycles, Art the owner had it fixed in five seconds, it was a connector that ran along the fuel injector, he just snapped it back together, apparently he has seen that happen before, I rode that Bullet for 4000 miles and never had a issue with the side stand switch.
2013 Bonniville T 100 (sold)
2010 BMW R1200GS (sold)
2011 Bullet C5 (sold)
2015 Indian Chieftain
2016 BMW R1200GS
2017 Triumph Street Twin

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 07:35:30 pm
A friend of mine bought a brand new Audi A3, its a german vehicle with a very good pedigree and it gave her endless trouble until she sold it at 130000kms. I've owned german, korean and japanese cars and they all have their idiosyncrasies, oddly enough though, the ones that gave the most issues were the german vehicles which a.) costed a lot more and b.) were a lot more to repair. So dont for a second think that "international" brands means you wont have issues, it just means it'll cost more to repair :D

I understand your frustration but to go so far as implying that the indian manufacturers aren't up to international standards is a bit far fetched. This brand has been going longer than any other motorcycle manufacturer in the world, thats no easy feat and although the final finish may not be as good as say a Harley (although tbh I have no issue with my Bullet), if it was as bad as your'e implying it wouldn't have lasted 10 years.

Have some faith ;) the brand has been around longer than you have more than likely been alive.