Author Topic: Blown Fuse while running  (Read 19058 times)

Varis

• Scooter
on: May 08, 2013, 04:08:25 am
Hey all I have a quick question about fuses and battery.  I was riding my bike home after work this evening and the bike suddenly stopped working.  After a bit I figured out that I should look at the fuses.  Sure enough one of them was blown.  The problem is that I was not able to find the spare fuses.  Someone was kind enough to stop by the side of the road and give me a ride home and I did not *think* that spare fuse might simply be one of them in the fuse holder. (In fact I tried moving a few of them around but it did not work)  The manual would suggest that 3 of them are spares?  I am assuming that fuses (starting from the left) 1-3 are for the power and then 4-6 are the spares?  I was able to get the head light to turn on by moving fuse 1 into fuse 2 slot.

I also removed the battery covered and noticed that the battery was not properly secured as the bottom strap was not connected, there was a fair amount of battery acid on and around the battery and the lock for the battery cover is broken :/.

The bike just had its break service about 400 miles ago so I am a little pissed.  Right now the bike is sitting on the side of the road and for various reasons (one of them involves a security check point and darkness) I'll have to wait until tomorrow to try to repair it again.

Beau

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 04:51:35 am
I'm not sure about your bike buy my G5 has three black plastic fuse cases with the wires running into the top and bottom of each.

Inside each case the fuse that is held in the clips with the wires attached is easy to see.
Along with each connected fuse, each of the cases has a spare fuse which is easily removed and installed into the metal connectors with the wires attached.

As for blowing a fuse, everyone, including me will say you need to check all of the wiring for a short to ground.  These Indian made wiring harnesses are not the greatest and the use of black plastic tape for protection against abrasion is a poor idea.

Anyway, about a year ago the main power fuse in the first black plastic case blew.
I replaced it with a American made fuse and the bike hasn't had a problem.
I looked for a possible short and never found one so I'm assuming some of these Indian made fuses can blow even when everything is fine.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Varis

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 04:56:57 am
Sorry I forgot to mention that I have a 2012 C5!

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 06:03:52 am
On my C5, there's a fuse case with 6 fuses in it. If you turn it around and look at the back, there are wires coming into 3 of the 6 slots -- those are the live fuses and the other 3 are spares. This isn't obvious, someone had to point it out to me.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

whoguy

• Scooter
  • Hi... I love all things Beautiful...
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 08:02:16 am
Hey Varis,

If that ever happens again, take the front light off and check the wiring behind the nacelle. My one shorted out like that due to the headlight connections touching the speedo shroud.

Lucky 4 me, I knew the three fuses on the right were spares ... Rewired/ replaced fuse and rode home :)

Goodluck
To ride or not to ride... That is the question!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 08:16:51 am
+1.  Have a look in there anyway - it's booby trapped throughout and the source of many a mysterious fuse-blowing/engine stoppage. Mine liked to separate at one of the connectors when the handlebars turned - but just enough so the engine would stall at random times later. You'd do well to get in there with cable ties and electrical tape and tidy things up.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Varis

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 02:31:43 pm
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advise, I am going to head out in half hour and see if I can get the bike moving long enough to get it home.  I'll post if I am able to or not.

Anyone have any advise about the leaking battery?

Beau

Varis

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 05:10:26 pm
So I got the C5 home with no problem.  I simply changed the fuse and it started up.  I figured out what causes the fuse to blow as well.  When I got the bike home I started to play around with the lights and such.  When I push on the yellow button that "flashes" the high beams the bike died.  I checked the fuses and sure enough one was burnt out.  I changed it and the bike started up with no problem.  One thing I did find odd was that I *believe* a different fuse blow the second time.  Last time I *think* it was fuse #2 this time it was fuse #3 (numbering from left to right facing the fuse holder.)  Also if I turn on the high beams it does not blow the fuse.  I guess I'll just have to ride around with the front head light off....

Beau

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 06:48:36 pm
The yellow flash button turns on both the high and low beam simultaneously.  In normal operation only one of the two filaments is on at a time.  I would buy some good 20A fuses and replace them all, see if you still have the problem.  If you do get to the dealer and have it checked.

Scott

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 08:21:51 pm
OK, THAT (turns on both filaments simultaneously) is the kind of factoid you ONLY learn in a forum like this -- which is why I read. Thanks, Scott!
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 09:53:19 pm
Anyone have any advise about the leaking battery?

Throw it away and get an AGM. That will cure any battery problem you've had! And AGMs don't leak.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Varis

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 03:06:19 am
Thanks for the advise guys!

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 11:54:04 am
And AGMs don't leak.
Bare

That's true in theory (that they don't leak).  They shouldn't, and they are sealed at the factory but I just received one in the mail and when I opened the box the inside was soaked with battery acid.  The company was very apologetic and is shipping another one out right away.  They never responded to my question about what to do with the leaky battery.  I certainly didn't want to ship it back in it's current (no pun intended) condition.  I guess I get to keep that one but because it is a sealed unit I have no way of knowing how much acid leaked out.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 12:38:51 am
I sure hope the battery I just ordered isn't leaking when it gets here.
The Brown Truck tracker said it was last seen in West Virginia headed west.

I probably didn't need to buy it but the battery in my G5 is two years old now.  I figure, why take chances?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 10:31:36 pm
That's true in theory (that they don't leak).  They shouldn't, and they are sealed at the factory but I just received one in the mail and when I opened the box the inside was soaked with battery acid.  The company was very apologetic and is shipping another one out right away.  They never responded to my question about what to do with the leaky battery.  I certainly didn't want to ship it back in it's current (no pun intended) condition.  I guess I get to keep that one but because it is a sealed unit I have no way of knowing how much acid leaked out.

Take to a bike or car repair place, most any of them will recycle it for you.