Author Topic: Repair ???? - Water in engine?  (Read 2658 times)

johnp2127

• Scooter
on: May 06, 2013, 05:31:23 pm
In need of a little assistance... I committed a sin and while moving between jobs placed my 2006 Royal Enfield Bullet Deluxe 500es on a trailer and drove through some nasty weather.  She will now start, but giving the bike any gas causes it to die.  When I initially started the bike a lot of water was kicked out of the exhaust (there isn't a great seal between the engine and the exhaust head pipe, which may have contributed to how much got in the engine).  I'm wondering if there is water in the engine, but I'm not sure how that would relate to its ability to idle, but not be revved up.  Any thoughts are appreciated!!  - John

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:39:12 pm
If it is indeed water related, it would be water in the fuel, which would settle toward the bottom of the fuel tank or fuel bowl.  If you are in the States, ethanol fuel would absorb some of this water to a point but then it would just attract more water from the air.  To rule out the water, just drain fuel tank and float bowl, put in new fuel.

The symptoms you describe could also result from a clogged main jet, or needle jet. So, while you are draining the float bowl, you should also clean the main/needle jet with carb cleaner.

Did your air filter become saturated with water and now not flowing air?  If so replace it.

If neither of these works for you, may need to increase the size of the main jet.  By the way, did you change elevation when you moved, change in elevation would cause a need for jet changes.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:19:03 pm
The water in the pipe could've come just from condensation. It's not likely that it got in from around or through the engine.
Now +1 from mrunderhill. But you need to give the carb a complete cleaning. Just the main jets ain't gonna do the trick. The idle circuitry will also be in need it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

johnp2127

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 03:19:52 pm
I greatly appreciate the input!  I've owned the bike for a couple years now, but I'm still a beginner in maintenance.  I did take off the carb and give it a good clean with carb cleaner spray, as well as the air filter.  The fuel that drained from the carb did have water in it and I went ahead and drained about a 1/2gal out of the tank as well (assuming the water would separate and be on the bottom of the tank). 
We did undergo a change in elevation on the drive.  I'd seen some conversation on this in the past about whether this does in fact have a measurable effect on the jets, but I did not do any tuning and perhaps that's part of the issue.  I can do some searching and I do own the Snidal service manual but do you know of a good guide to jet adjustments?  I haven't had to tackle that yet. 
THANK YOU 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 03:31:12 pm by johnp2127 »

johnp2127

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 04:06:40 pm
I've located an electronic Mikuni VM series manual... should be all I need besides some healthy luck.

johnp2127

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 05:11:33 pm
Got it running great!  Thanks for the assistance!  I can now enjoy some good rides while visiting home.

Solution:  The basic cleaning out I gave it yesterday did the trick.  What I did incorrectly the first time I reassembled the carb was that I didn't correctly get the piston valve back in place.  Before retiring yesterday I noticed the threads were still showing a bit and realized it wasn't completed seated correctly.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 06:39:02 am
Great job!  You're on your way to being able to tackle any job on that bike.    :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King