Author Topic: Electra Top Box  (Read 3836 times)

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 06, 2013, 04:52:20 am
Got a lot done today: 1) relocated and installed new rear turn signals; b) 7inch Syl 6024 light; c) emgo top box from Amazon. 
Not sure i like the looks of the box on the NField chrome rack, but it sure is handy ($67 off Amazon and mounted in 10 minutes).  Fits my helmet, groceries and work computer.  Pops off with a button.

http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-72-32440-Travel-Trunk/dp/B000GVD0VE
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 09:46:09 am
That's a very nice upgrade!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 02:48:46 pm
A little on the big side, but it's clean and functional.  I might have to pick one of those up for when I go on my camping trips.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 03:21:34 am
Thanks gents. Had it on for a few days now. Still think its ugly, but slapped a k&n sticker on it and feeling better about it now :o

Looks aside, it's damn convenient!  Doesn't rattle,  don't forget lock tite and throw in a gallon of milk and ice cream on the way home. Happy with the $$$ spent. Saw a ural with the box on amazon. Ural looked better with it. It's a keeper.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 04:40:20 am
In the 50's, 60's & 70's a UK company called called Craven made a range of fibreglass top boxes and panniers. They occasionally come up on eBay, but any surviving models are pretty tired by now.

Last year I heard that a company called Craven Equipment had started to re-manufacture some of the original range. I contacted them and ordered their smallest top box, which arrived a few weeks later.

It is nowhere near as spacious as DanB's one, and a good bit dearer (£170) probably due to the way its is made: hand-laid fibreglass, with all the hardware then fitted using rivets or stainless nuts & bolts. It does sit perfectly on the rear rack, and is large enough for waterproofs, lunch(!), any extra tools, and the odd bit of shopping. I had already tried on a much cheaper Givi 'jelly-mould' plastic box which I had for another bike, but it just didn't suit the Enfield.

Contact details are:
Craven Equipment
Broad Street, BUNGAY, Suffolk, NR35 1EE Telephones
(01986) 894 798 or 892 826 Facsimile (01986) 894 799
contact@cravens.org.uk     www.cravens.org.uk

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 03:15:52 pm
Now that looks nice!  I was looking at older cravens, but they are far and few between on this side of the pond. Glad to know they are still doing some very nice work!

I like the simple rack as well.  From Hitchcocks?
2006 AVL Electra

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 04:25:47 pm
Hi, yes, I'm very pleased with it. I just checked the Craven catalog and they are listing the small Snowdon box (the one I have) at £130. Mine was a bit dearer I think because it was one of the first they made, and they were sorting out the manufacturing and costing process.

The rack was from my Enfield dealer, Avuss, in Glasgow. I am pretty sure it is the same one that Hitchcocks sell. It was £64, and a breeze to fit.

I have noticed some US owners have a rear rack, the sides of which form pannier frames.  that type isn't in Hitchcocks' catalogue, but they do say they can't list everything they have in stock.  With hindsight I would have held out for the 'rack & pannier frame' version.