Author Topic: I Hit The Ton Today!!!  (Read 1900 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 06, 2013, 04:21:51 am
Yeah buddy!  Well, according to ever so accurate Smiths speedo anyways.    ;)

There I was coming home from work today...  The bike was running good and I am getting a feel for the ride and braking so I decided it was time for some highway action.  Coming off of Colfax east bound I jumped on 225 South and opened her up!  I actually had to hit the brakes at the top of the ramp because I caught up to the slow traffic.   :)   Merged over into the center lane and cracked it wide open!  After about a half mile or so I peaked down and caught a glimpse of almost 105mph (so probably closer to 85-95mph ) and it was awesome!    8)  Not officially The Ton, but a respectable speed none the less, and she was still pulling too.

Let me tell you something though...  A vintage ribbed bias-ply Goodyear on the front wheel on grooved paved with a cross wind DEFINITELY makes for an exciting ride and keeps you on your toes.    :o  I actually reached down and tightened up my steering damper.  I was skeet skeet skidaddelin all over that lane, but I never lost confidence in my bike or my capabilities and just rode with the flow.  It was actually a lot of fun, but I'm kind of crazy like that and an adrenaline junkie ( look at my avatar ).  Though, I don't think I'll get on grooved pavement again until I get some new rubber on the front, but it was a glorious action packed ride.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Lady_Enfield

• Scooter
  • Bluce
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 04:28:29 am
 8)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 04:33:03 am by Lady_Enfield »
I am Multi-FUNctional!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 12:09:24 pm
Very good!
The speedos vary in terms of inaccuracy, so you possibly may have made The Ton.
They typically read about 10 mph too high, but sometimes they are only 5 mph high, and on some rare occasions, they are within a couple mph of being right.

If you plan to try it again, bring a GPS with you that has a speed display, and mount it on your handlebar. That's what we do when we do a speed test, because of the speedo inaccuracy issues.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 08:15:27 pm
Congrats, dude!
Hope the speedo is accurate, but ball park error is usually about 10%. But the bike should be capable of going that fast.
Those ribbed tires suck. Be sure to stay away from the Avon Skidmasters!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 09:29:19 pm
Congrats, dude!
Hope the speedo is accurate, but ball park error is usually about 10%. But the sbike should be capable of going that fast.
Those ribbed tires suck. Be sure to stay away from the Avon Skidmasters!
Bare

I'm going to be installing Shinko 705s in the near future.  Unfortunately my alternator took a shit my 1st day having it on the road, so I'll be ordering that from Hitchcocks on Friday.  I'm going to ask around and see if a friend has a GPS unit I can borrow so I can see what the bike really does.  Oooh!  Maybe my buddy will let me borrow his i phone with with the g force video app!  Lol

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King