Author Topic: transmission break in  (Read 15115 times)

No. 5

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 04:31:30 am
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got it pretty well adjusted,but It seems I have two transmissions. one warm and one hot. After about 30 minutes of driving at 20-35mph, it goes from working great to 'what the?' Is this still 'normal break in'? My new thought is, that it's the cable. I seems to be elastic when it's warm. Am I nuts? Anyone have the deluxe cable?

gapl53

Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 03:50:02 pm
Can you say "QURIKY"!

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 11, 2007, 03:55:22 pm
I've had to adjust the clutch cable at the lever a couple times while waiting for a light to turn green.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #18 on: August 11, 2007, 04:14:53 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got it pretty well adjusted,but It seems I have two transmissions. one warm and one hot. After about 30 minutes of driving at 20-35mph, it goes from working great to 'what the?' Is this still 'normal break in'? My new thought is, that it's the cable. I seems to be elastic when it's warm. Am I nuts? Anyone have the deluxe cable?

I have an '04 Sixty-5 but I believe the transmissions are the same.  It does take a couple thousand miles for the transmission to smooth out and with over 11K miles I seldom miss a shift.  At one time CMW recommended setting the clutch pretty tight.  There is to be a narrow area between slipping and dragging, once you find it you're in business.  Mine was helped by using three heavy duty clutch springs.  The premium cable was a help too but be prepared to do a little grinding and filing to get the ball to fit in the lever.

--Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 11:38:07 pm
did U put the heavier clutch springs in yourself?  very hard job?  thanks for the heads up on the heavy duty cable, I have one, but I'll just wait till the standard one breaks.

I would like to get the belt set-up for the primary, but I don't know if it would fit the Electra.. I suppose it would , I don't know.. is NEone using one?

Ok, no more questions.. 4 now ;D

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 02:17:24 am
did U put the heavier clutch springs in yourself?  very hard job?  thanks for the heads up on the heavy duty cable, I have one, but I'll just wait till the standard one breaks.

I would like to get the belt set-up for the primary, but I don't know if it would fit the Electra.. I suppose it would , I don't know.. is NEone using one?

Ok, no more questions.. 4 now ;D

Yes, I put the springs in myself.  Very easy job.  Here is a thought....replace the clutch cable with the heavy duty and carry the standard one as a spare.
Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 05:02:18 am
thanks never thought about that..  and since I havn't touched the bike in 2 weeks >:(  cause it's so durn hot here.. 102 at 5 oclock..

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 18, 2007, 05:05:01 pm
I've been thinking about the HD clutch springs. I would love to hear a review from someone about how much of a difference they make. I don't ride too haard, but would like a more possitive feel.

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 03:01:17 am
thanks never thought about that..  and since I havn't touched the bike in 2 weeks >:(  cause it's so durn hot here.. 102 at 5 oclock..

If I wanted to ride, hot weather wouldnt stop me. I would squirt the hose in the air & let it fall on me. Take a spray bottle & keep myself damp. Then, I am air conditioned. Even high hunidity will work if you are really wet & running 45 MPH. Ride that thing Scotty!

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 03:22:40 am
keep myself damp
  hee, hee.. did that in 1976 crossing Death Valley at 2 in the morning.. water evaporated within 15 minutes, kept stopping at those water outlets that said not suitable for drinking..  i'm a wimp now days;) :D ;D ::)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 03:24:31 am by scotty »

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 06:56:31 am
I have found that in humidity, if you wear leather, with either perforated panels, or vents, you can keep evaporatively cool at 40 mph, with sweat.  Just keep plenty of water for yourself, and drink it regularly. Other riders look at me as though I am crazy riding in full gear, in summer, but I am cooler than they are.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: August 25, 2007, 03:44:32 am
I wear a heavy denim jacket in hot weather. When I pull over at a rest stop, I soak it in water. Turns it into an air conditioner for a little while.