Author Topic: Breather hoses cracking?  (Read 1037 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 03, 2013, 12:15:58 pm
I've lost two freakin' breather hoses in a month to cracks where they're stretched over the elbow from the case.  They just split along their length.

(I stupidly lost my first one after folding the hose behind the distributor when adjusting my points , then forgetting the straighten it out after; must have launched right off when I rode away from the roadside.)

Hoping I can find better quality ones here in India...they don't seem quite as dark a black or as pliable as the one which had been on before.

Anyhow, anyone else had this issue??

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 01:23:07 pm
I use a piece of hose over the crankcase elbow, lead it to where I want it to go, and then use a very short piece of copper tube as a connector to the duckbill, clamping it with 2 small clamps.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 01:28:36 pm
I buy them in a package of 10,from Enfield County,or Bulletwala on eBay...I have three Bullets,so when they do split,I just replace them...Indian rubber can be good,but some of it is crap...certainly a cheap and easily replaced item,though...I like ACE's idea about using a better hose,like heavy vinyl,and a copper tube,and then the duckbill portion...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 07:33:07 pm
I think I lucked out when I had the idea of using the EGR hose that the stock exhaust/breather system used.

I cut off the fittings and added the duckbill from the catch can with a similar copper double barbed nipple thingy and some hose clamps. routed her up and over and... VOILA!!!
A long life breather hose. the thing was made to withstand exhaust gasses so it is pretty much perfect for the job and was at hand when I did the restoration of the breather elbow.
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 03:33:53 am
I use a piece of hose over the crankcase elbow, lead it to where I want it to go, and then use a very short piece of copper tube as a connector to the duckbill, clamping it with 2 small clamps.

Thanks, Tom--that's just regular radiator hose you're using?

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 11:14:56 am
Holy crap, that was a pure-ninja way to do it.  Had some leftover radiator hose from my spin on filter kit, combined with some sort of tubular spacer left over in my odds and ends bucket...

Using metal zip-ties instead of hose clamps but I think it'll hold fine.

Imagining that radiator hose will last forever, and the duckbill won't crack as it's barely stretched out.

Thanks, Tom!!!!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 01:21:59 pm
Glad it worked out for you.

Any hose that's heavy-duty enough to handle the heat and the oil will do.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 03:33:59 pm
seems like 1/2"  fuel line was the answer for me....
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill