Author Topic: Non-RE: Li Ion vs. SLA batteries  (Read 2075 times)

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
on: May 02, 2013, 11:05:56 pm
A non-RE question, but of at least peripheral interest, and I trust you.

In addition to my RE I have a Taiwan-made FlyKly electric scooter (FlyKly.com). It runs off a 48V 17Ah sealed lithium ion battery pack (assume it's 4x12V inside but I don't actually know) with a standard 3-pronged female plug receptacle like a computer monitor.

The charging adapters I have are 1.7A. I'd like to have a faster-charging adapter to carry with me for when I run out of range on the road, so i can do a full top-up in 2.5h rather than 5h. I'm figuring that 3A (which is less than 20% of 17A, which I learned as a rule of thumb) is safe.

It's easy to find a 3A adapter (I guess wheelchairs use them) but they all either say they're for sealed lead acid (SLA) batteries, or they don't specify.

I understand that the charging algorithms (whatever exactly that means) are different for SLA and Li ion. Can I safely substitute one of these adapters?

This is not a critical question. I don't use the scooter a lot. But I'd prefer not to destroy the battery pack or set the battery on fire by using the wrong adapter.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 12:31:27 am
I understand Boeing still hasn't figured out exactly what caused the Lithium Ion battery packs on the 787 Dreamliner to catch on fire.

After you try your "quick charge" on your scooter you may be able to make a fortune by selling your findings to Boeing so they can figure out what went wrong? 
 ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 02:11:35 am
The chargers rarely can be mixed.  The batteries do require different patterns to how the charge is provided and topped up.

I believe SLA batteries require constant charge with ongoing trickle to top off while the Lithium based ones require pulsed charging (on/off cycles) and get topped off in a pulsed manner as well.

Possible info source: http://batteryuniversity.com/

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 02:18:06 am
I started browsing that battery site and seem to have been on the right track, but in the wrong order: SLA get the pulsed (peak chargers) and Lithium get steady voltage charging.  I need to read more from that site - several of the products at work use different types of the Lithium based batteries and get specific chargers.