Author Topic: how not to take a turn  (Read 1614 times)

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
on: May 02, 2013, 02:02:00 pm
http://youtu.be/dNFaAqS2f18

(best not to watch if you don't like watching motorcycle crashes but to my knowledge everyone involved is ok)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 02:41:11 pm
WTF...  So, is like Mulholland Hwy the National hang out for the countries worst riders???  EVERY time I see a motorcycle video on that road someone either low sides or is going way to fast with a horrible body position and something horrific happens.  Like this ass clown running right into bicycles.  Maybe they should enforce a law on that road that mandates you have at least a 5 years minimum riding experience before you can even look at that road with a helmet on.  Morons.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 04:04:17 pm
Motorcyclist seem to be having a problem negotiating the curve...Probably slowing down when he saw the bicyclist at the last minute threw him off but bottom line he's at fault....Glad no one was seriously hurt...
Oh Magoo you done it again

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 08:12:10 pm
It's a fine example of "target fixation".

The rider fixated (or concentrated) on the bicycles so the motorcycle drifted right into them.  Idiot !!
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 09:00:47 pm
I don't know what it is with that corner, but there are a lot of target fixation crashes on it. Can't say I've ever had a problem there, it's an uphill sharp left hander at the end of "The Snake" section of road. There is a roadside lookout at the top with a great view of the road below. A lot of this stuff is shot from the top.
The picture shows the road just below the turn the is off on the left. It's very twisty as you go down and ends the good twisties just before the Rock Store. I guess it's about 5 miles for the Snake. The guard rail in the video seem to be a big target fixations location. But they crash coming down just past off to the right of the picture just before the road tightens up again.
Countersteer, people, countersteer. The best avoidance for target fixation!
Bare
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:08:37 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:13:03 pm
Countersteer, people, countersteer. The best avoidance for target fixation!

Amen to that.  I'm sure there are a lot of factors, one of which is the pressure of all the folks who are there filming, since it seems to be a popular spot.  Riders probably end up showing off a bit above their levels.  Maybe.

Also, I'm sure for every crash, hundreds of riders make it through that corner a-ok.  Just not as popular on youtube.  That guy's youtube channel is great though... There is someone just killing that road with a passenger which is really impressive.  Lots and lots of clips of people staying upright.  There is also an amazing clip of the crashes all played in reverse which is really cool (for a crash vid).
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 04:08:31 am
that was just stupid..  bet the mc rider is a novice >:(