Author Topic: G5 popping noise  (Read 1426 times)

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
on: May 02, 2013, 02:52:41 am
When I came home yesterday I noticed a popping noise as I was putting the bike in the garage.  I seemed to be coming from rear wheel or chain.  With the bike on center stand I spun the rear wheel and was sure it was the chain.  I lubed the chain and considered getting a new one.  Today I checked and the noise was there but not quite as bad.  I decided to measure the width and check local bike shops and bearing and drive suppliers.  I removed the master link, slipped a pair of Nylon wire ties through the ends of the chain where the master link fits (left the ties unlocked), and removed the ends of the chain from the rear sprocket.  The ties give a handle to remove and refit the chain to the sprocket.  With the chain off the rear sprocket, the wheel was spun and the same noise was heard.  It wasn't the chain.  Must be a bad bearing.  The bearings were removed from the wheel and they seemed OK.  They have a seal on the outside, but not on the side toward the center of the wheel.  The side toward the center of the wheel had a trace of heavy grease.  I repacked both bearings with a liberal amount of heavy Valvoline synthetic bearing grease.  Noise is gone.  I did notice that when the nut was removed from the Axel, the trailing arms sprung apart approximately 3/16 of an inch.  When the wheel was reinstalled, a washer of this thickness was used inside the left trailing arm. 
This is a 2009 G5 fitted with a Cozy sidecar.  It has just over 4000 miles, all but about 300 with the sidecar.  It is usually driven at speeds between 30 and 50 MPH.  Chain has very little stretch and is a good snug fit on sprocket.  The noise sounded like a chain that was freezing up.  If such a noise is attributed to a chain, before replacing the chain, take it off the rear sprocket, spin the wheel, and check for noise.  GA-DK

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 06:00:33 am
That popping noise your describing sounds like a bad bearing too me.  You may have given it some life back by repacking it, but I'd expect the noise to come back in the near future.  As far as the chain being bad, when you had it off of the bike did you notice any side-to-side movement?

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 03:47:49 pm
No side to side movement noticed.  Both bearings felt smooth, but will bare watching.  GA-DK