Author Topic: Hagon shock installation, my way - uh oh...  (Read 16836 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 07:34:12 pm
If you can leave the head on that's golden.  that way you don't need a big chunky weld bead where the shock seats.  I suspect you'll have it sorted soon ;)

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 10:46:07 pm
FYI, Tim at CMW (NFG) tells me that a new swing arm is available, but must be ordered through a dealer.  Cost: $120.33.

Now I know how much not to pay for the repair!   ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 10:49:41 pm
Good data point :)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 12:57:11 am
even if you were prepared to pay the money for the swing arm. next questions
- is it in stock or how long must i wait?
your now into good riding weather so make the most of it - lets ride!  ;D

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 01:00:46 am
I agree - just covering my bases and doing my research.  I hope to pull the swing arm on Sunday, and deliver it on Monday...

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 03:25:32 am
Mattsz -  gotta tell you guys… I owned and maintained a 1968 Triumph TR-250 for about 8 years.  One time, faulty parts led to my having to remove the transmission, replace the clutch, and reinstall the transmission… alone… twice in one day.  I never broke anything - and I never owned a torque wrench.  I know it's a poor mechanic who blames his tools, but I'm beginning to rue the day I bought that damn thing.

Mattsz..
I never owned a Torque wrench ever, I just put my hagons on and tried to use my "BRAND NEW" ##$$%%^  TORQUE wrench...and broke the #$#@^&  Swingarm bolt, just like you did... >:(
I very calmly  ;) put the bike back in the garage and now am contemplating my next step....
Cheers
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 03:56:01 am
Not quite sure how replacing shocks can be difficult. You should be able to do the jobs easily in 15 minutes. particularly the second time!
As for swingarm removal, remove the rear wheel and brake, remove the other shock, then remove the pivot bolt for the swing arm. Pull the swingarm out through the chain. That's it. Don't forget to slide it through the chain on reinstallation.
Bare
Bare, being a novice mechanic, Is this a long process, will a newbee like myself be able to do this ? I do have skills, but not a lot without help  :D,  is this fairly easy to do. I recall seeing every single one of Singh5 videos and believe that this should be a fairly easy task... ( I just managed to break the swingarm bolt a few minutes ago while replacing my Shocks ) :(
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 06:07:18 am
Mattsz - Have your buddy weld it for beer exactly how you described with the head of the bolt and weld the head on the inside part (tire side) of the plate.  Spray a little rattle can paint on there and call it good.  After another 100 miles you won't even think about it anymore.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 11:01:46 am
Hey Bulletman -

Based on my observations, and Bare's description, it should be an easy job, provided I don't break anything else!  I'm going to remove the swing arm, locate a proper bolt, and my guy plans to remove the old stud, probably by cutting and grinding it flat, followed by drilling out, insert the bolt with head attached, and TIG weld it at the head, on the inner side of the plate.  I'll post it all here, or maybe start a new thread with a proper name for posterity.  Anyway, stay tuned...

Just about everyone I communicate with on this says they only use a torque wrench for critical engine adjustments - and I can see why.  It helps to have a feel for how tight is tight enough, which I think I'm better at using a "regular-sized" tool instead of the longer, flexible torque wrench.  That said, the shock bolt is only, what, 10mm?  30 ft-lbs seems kinda high...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 11:10:05 am
+1, I hate using a long torque wrench.  I don't know what it's supposed to feel like.  Also, anything under 20ft-lbs I use my smaller inch pound torque wrench.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 01:10:42 pm
Bulletman - I was up early, so I decided to have at it.

The swing arm removal was straightforward and easy.  It took me 1-1/2 hours from complete start to complete finish, including repositioning my bike in the garage, gathering my tools, doing the job while taking notes and photographing things, and cleaning up and putting my tools away again.

Actually, this is handy ( :o ) - while I'm at this point, and waiting for the welding to be done, I'll change out my rear tire to the K70, and replace my chain and sprocket.  Do I have to drain the oil from the sump to remove the right-side engine cover, or can I just pull it and replace just what I lose in the process?

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 02:21:27 pm

The swing arm removal was straightforward and easy.  It took me 1-1/2 hours from complete start to complete finish, including repositioning my bike in the garage, gathering my tools, doing the job while taking notes and photographing things, and cleaning up and putting my tools away again.

Actually, this is handy ( :o ) - while I'm at this point, and waiting for the welding to be done, I'll change out my rear tire to the K70, and replace my chain and sprocket.  Do I have to drain the oil from the sump to remove the right-side engine cover, or can I just pull it and replace just what I lose in the process?
Matt,
Please post pictures (when you can) and if possible step by step " detail" :-[ on how to get the swing arm off....
I am under the weather, but If i get the details I will attempt to take off the swing arm this morning (its 6.15 Am, California time) and get this issue resolved. Please post info on the size, type and length and if necessary the strength of the "bolt" you are going to use and the "type" of welding (tig, mig...) that was done...You will have to forgive my questions as i'm not well versed with the terms. thanks again to all. at least I don't feel alone in this project.
Cheers
Mark
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 02:38:26 pm

Yes - drain the oil. Place a pan underneath to collect oil that will come out.

Hope your bike gets fixed and up and running quickly.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:48:08 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 04:22:27 pm
Bare - FWIW, my welder thought it looked like the stud might be threaded into the swing arm plate; he tried to twist the broken stud out using vice-grips.  He chowdered it up pretty well, but it didn't budge...