Author Topic: Driving without a first gear?  (Read 1217 times)

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
on: June 05, 2013, 01:39:06 pm
Per another thread, I can't currently downshift beyond 2nd gear. I'll try adjusting the clutch this weekend.

In the meantime, I've ridden over 300 miles without a first gear. Is this okay to continue doing, as long as I'm careful to minimize lugging as much as possible when I start up from a dead stop in 2nd gear?
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 02:29:33 pm
  Rich, adjusting the clutch cable should only take a few minutes. The adjustment is down on the left side cover.

BTW, with the bike off and on it's center stand. You should be able to shift through the gears without the clutch.  Try getting the rear wheel off the ground, and shift into first with your hand... you may need to rotate the rear wheel with your other hand as you do this. A little back and fourth with shifting and rotating the wheel. Your looking to get the bike in each gear..1-5, Without using the clutch.Then rotate the  wheel forward in each gear and make sure it stops when it's in gear.... give the wheel a good push forward, you should feel good resistance. That will at least give you some indication of whether your trans needs service. If your able to shift it through ALL the gears, and the wheel stops when it's in gear.... your trans is likely ok.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.