Author Topic: How do I start a local RE enthusiast club? (Austin, TX)  (Read 3954 times)

dick_deck

• Scooter
I've had this dream for a while, where a group of RE enthusiasts roll up to a motorcycle event and watch the looks on peoples faces as they try to figure out what we are riding, and where did we come from. I also want to be able to talk to people face to face about Enfields, and perhaps give or recieve hands on advice.

I want to join a local RE enthusiast club... but they just don't seem to exist. Precursory searching reveals that I can't even find any US clubs (internet based clubs don't count, I'm talking about people that regularly see each other in person.)

So I finally decided that if there is going to be an Austin Royal Enfield riding club, I'm going to have to do it myself... but how? I've poured over internet advice, but I would rather hear it from folks who are more familiar with my interests. So I'm looking for advice from folks who have run, or been part of well-run clubs.

Idea's for structure:
Loosely democratic, evolving to follow majority interests
Ideally RE only, but could be expanded to "modern vintage" or other stylish motorcyclists to increase membership base.
Social gatherings at regular intervals
Encouraged sharing of technical advice and assistance
Occasional member rides
Blog/Website to serve as a communications board, and to keep interest going

Idea's for promoting:
This forum
Flyers at bars
Word of mouth via existing motorcycle meetups
Craigslist?

Again, any advice or encouragement would be welcome. I've seen a few other local meet up attempts pass by on this forum with little response, and am hoping the Austin area members are a little more  outgoing. :)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 10:06:57 pm
You can send PMs to the local riders of REs and see if you can get the all together. Good Luck. You may find a couple to go on rides with.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:09:50 pm
The local dealer may have a list of people who've purchased bikes but are not on the forum.  While they may not give you the info you might ask that the dealer contact them on your behalf.  Also, put up a flyer and give some to the dealer to give to RE owners when they're in the shop.

Scott

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 04:50:52 am
You might ask a local dealer to sponsor the club. Even if it only gives you a spot to setup a grill for hotdogs once a month, it might be enough to get the dealer to email an announcement on your behalf to his previous Enfield customers and will benefit the dealer by bringing more riders back into the dealership.

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 04:54:17 am
The local Miata club places business cards on every Miata they see to raise club awareness.  You might try it.  Keep in mind there aren't that many Roayl Enfields out there compared to other brands, but Austin seems like a place you would find them.

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 05:44:17 am
I'd ride with you, but I'm moving from San Antonio to St Louis on 1 Jul, and am deep in the midst of a grueling study schedule until 20 Jun.  So I've got a pretty narrow window.

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 06:39:53 am
I think riding should not be limited to brands,
but to categories. So if you have HD riders or
Triumph/Yamaha/or whichever brand who like to
unwind by embarking on motorcycle trips, preferrably
at sane speeds, it may not be a bad idea to join/invite
them to your club. Later on if they feel inspired to buy
an RE you could have an exclusive RE club, but that too
for exclusive events of RE, such as One Ride etc.

dick_deck

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 05:53:36 pm
I had considered contacting a dealer, but decided it was paramount to spam-mail. Besides, the closest dealer is 90 minutes away. There are a few dealers around Austin that will sell pretty much anything with 2 wheels, and I might be able to get a little counter space to put some mini flyers or take-aways there. Always worth asking.

However, I think Bradey may be right about opening up to the spirit of the club, instead of the brand.

Thanks for the ideas, gang! Keep them coming please! :)

Shamelin - If you're in Austin, look me up. I'll PM you my e-mail.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 06:17:18 pm
I believe there is an active 59 club in your area, perhaps another british make club,Triumph/BSA/Norton. I'm sure they would welcome an Enfield rider. You would have much in common(except breakdowns) You would enjoy the rich heritage of british machinery & probably learn lots of technical info. The 59 club is cafe-centric with many makes involved. Google all of the above in your area.
Have Fun, Craig
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 06:18:24 pm
I tried the PM idea here in Socal. There were plenty of RE riders, but Jack and I are the only ones who ever really got together. Bikesnob rode with us on weekends. We would go on the Norton and BSA Club's rides together as the Three Bulleteers. The others were mostly inconveniently located to get with us.
Jack and I ride very well together, as far as speeds, distances and time to do it goes. Can't wait to get out there again! When we go on club rides, there is such a dissimilarity in speeds and distances, Jack and I would often just go out own way to make the ride what we wanted to do rather than be incumbered by others' riding styles. We wold meet tam at the planned stops, but getting there was not necessarily what they had in mind. Neither of us really like riding in big groups anyway. If you're are leading the group you kinda feel responsible for the group.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 06:23:39 pm
You would have much in common(except breakdowns) You would enjoy the rich heritage of british machinery & probably learn lots of technical info

Who, exactly, is doing the breaking down?
This can be another problem with the big groups. If someones breaks down or crashes, who is responsible for them getting home. Not to mention the time wasted while everyone waits to see what the outcome is going to be.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

dick_deck

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 06:37:21 pm
I believe there is an active 59 club in your area, perhaps another british make club,Triumph/BSA/Norton. I'm sure they would welcome an Enfield rider.

I have found a couple of clubs, one called "Cafe Racer"and the other as "Vintage Bike Night". Both of which I plan on attending their social meetings at least a few times before trying to execute on this idea. I may find I would rather join their clubs, or I may find tips on starting my own. I'm keeping an open mind.

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 07:37:35 pm
I'm also in Austin, Tx.  Haven't hit "Cafe Racer" or the "Vintage Bike Night" yet.  I need to look up information on those.  I have a 2012 C5 Military with matching side car.  I live up off N. FM620.

A couple car groups I associate with use the MeetUp.com system as their "club presence" to arrange meetings and drives, etc.

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 02:13:30 am
I seem to remember that some of the Texas Brit Iron Rebels were in and around Austin.  It might be another way to meet up with some like minded people riding other British thumpers.

dick_deck

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 03:29:11 pm
Mplayle - I'll let you know my first impressions on those meet ups next week. I'm going to try to hit both.

Shamelin - The BIR look like some fun guys. I will have to do some snooping.