Author Topic: Exhaust  (Read 1785 times)

blaisecardoz

• Scooter
on: May 14, 2013, 04:36:52 pm
I have a Royal Enfield Electra 5s. I want to study all the exhaust so that i can get a one swapped on my bike.
I am tried researching couldn't find a perfect answer for exhaust. I want to know more about exhaust. Can anyone explain the exhausts.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 08:15:57 pm
could you clarify your question please?
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 10:28:27 pm
I am tried researching couldn't find a perfect answer for exhaust

What are the imperfect answers?  The exhaust is the pipe that comes out of the front of the had and sweeps around to the rear of the bike. it carries hot burnt gases out to the atmosphere. Some mufflers ( the stock ones), that's the fat part on the end of the pipe, have catastrophic converters in them that make them heavy and expensive, there's platinum in them thar hills, and it converts something in the exhaust to something else. Other mufflers that are often seen and heard on Enfields don't have the converters in them. They run better!
None of them make a fantastic performance difference. Some make a lot more noise than others. Excess noises do not necessarily convert to horsepower.
There are a lot of options out there. Everyone has their own opinions. Personally I like Nfield Gears EFI muffler. Not too noisy, but the bike runs good.
Stand by for a lot of opinions.
Bare
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:53:20 am by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 11:04:05 pm
@ blaisecardoz

You didn't say if your engine was fuel injected but as this is in the UCE area of the forum I'll assume it is.

If your bike is a US import it will have a oxygen sensor (O2)in the exhaust pipe right in front of the cylinder.  If this exists, any replacement exhaust pipe will need to also have a port for this sensor.
If your motorcycle is in India it will not have this sensor so any exhaust pipe that is made for the 500cc Royal Enfield engine should work.

The Electronic Control Unit for the US bikes uses the O2 sensor to check the fuel mixture and it will accommodate some of the silencers which have some restriction inside of them.
It doesn't seem to like the straight thru silencers and if one is used, a number of backfires will be heard indicating the air/fuel mixture is too lean.

Like barenekd says, noise does not always mean power.  In fact, I know a number of people in India who found they had lost low end power by replacing their factory stock silencer with some very loud ones.  Many of them switched back to the original when they found this was happening.  When they switched back, the old power returned. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 03:14:13 am
could you clarify your question please?

Compare & Contrast all available exhaust systems for an Electra 5S
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

blaisecardoz

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 03:49:13 pm
Sorry I am a noob. I have a electra 5s 350cc non efi model. We get goldstar silencer here with glass wool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDgJ6YF-5A
I am buying this one. Will I loose anything as mentioned in the previous post.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 07:52:26 pm
i would encourage you to keep the stock muffler. although it may be unpopular,on this forum the pipe uses a process called catalytic combustion to remove carbon monoxide, unburnt hydro-carbons and and converts nitrogen oxide  to nitrogen.  these chemicals are bad for our health and and are major contributors to smog haze.. it really is a usefull device. not sure what the air quality is like where you live but if you take the long term view the answer is pretty simple.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:05:15 pm by AussieDave »
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.