Author Topic: Helmet Sizing  (Read 2088 times)

young gun

• Bulleteer
on: April 30, 2013, 11:36:10 am
Hi Guys,

When I bought my Bullet, although I had been looking around for quite awhile, the sale happened pretty suddenly on a saturday with me only realising on the sunday that I didn't have a helmet. I didn't have a huge amount of cash available to me as I spent more than I wanted to on my bike, so I just bought a cheap helmet to literally use to get the bike home. I have now some cash and I decided to go for the Shark S900 in gloss black. Its the most contemporary helmet I could find and in gloss black its not too racy. Its gotten great reviews and for the price its really good value and crazily, its also one of the only helmets that allows me to wear my glasses?! with every other helmet i just couldn't manage to get the glasses arms in!

Anyways, my question is on fit. Me head is 56cm which puts me in medium territory. I tried the medium Shark helmet and its super tight, put on the large and it fits much better. How will this helmet fit after a few months? I know it'll loosen up a bit, will the large be too big in the long run or should I buy the medium and let it wear in a bit?

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 12:12:07 pm
Helmets have their own break-in periods  ;)
After you wear the medium sized helmet a fair few times, it will get accustomed to your head and you will feel more comfortable. However, if that helmet is super, super tight, then go for the large one.

Brand new helmets are always tight at first, so I would suggest to go with the specs Shark have provided. Medium should be fine. Other members may shed more light on this.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 04:00:40 pm
You really can't go on sizing charts. Every manufacture is different, not just in sizing their helmets but also in the shape of their helmets (not every brain bucket is perfectly round). Obviously the best way to properly fit a helmet is by actually trying them on. If you research online there is some extensive lists that show the helmet type along with the sizing and shape info. There is nothing worse than buying a helmet that doesn't fit. As an example just search your local craigslist and you will see plenty of adds offering helmets that have only been worn a few times. Cha Ching!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:03:29 pm by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 04:11:48 pm
So what should I be looking out for? Went back and tried the medium and it's not bad, if the pads wear in a bit it should be fine, just wanna be sure it does wear in :)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 04:42:45 pm
I wrote a pretty big chunk in the other helmet thread.  But basically, you don't want a helmet that is tight enough to cause any discomfort, or large enough that it moves.  At all.  It shouldn't have play on your head.  If it's uncomfortably tight, or gives you pressure anywhere that causes you discomfort it's not going to improve with break-in.  If it's uncomfortable in the first minute, it's going to get much, much worse when you keep it on there.

Big DITTO about the sizing. It means nothing.  Helmet sizes and WAY more importantly, SHAPE, differs brand to brand.  Shape is what you need to find, and that is almost just by trying on as many helmets as you can.  Check out this link; I think it will answer most of your helmet questions:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-faq.htm

Good luck.
Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 05:10:30 pm
Thanks boggy, I've been researching quite a bit on webbikeworkd :) ill check out that link