Author Topic: Exhaust Mods vs Emissions Checks  (Read 4633 times)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
on: April 30, 2013, 04:10:20 am
Hi, and I hope this finds you all well!
I'm looking at getting my first RE. Just haven't decided which (G5 or C5).
The Telephone pole looks like crap so I'll want to mod the exhaust system, but I'm curious how the mods affect Emissions Testing as I have the sad fortune to live in a city that requires the testing.
After reading posts here re mods I think I want to go with the EFI system, but again, what if any effects will it have on emissions?

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to any and all response(s).

Helo
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 04:53:59 am
The EFI on all of the UCE powered Royal Enfields meets all of the emission requirements for all of the states.

Technically, removing the existing silencer and replacing it with another is against the Federal law.  I don't know whether this would effect it in your area.  It depends on what your State demands.

Because I live in Phoenix, Arizona all vehicles are "required" to meet the State/Federal requirements but because my bike is a Fuel Injected model with a computer control I was not required to actually go to a testing site.
They just sent me the paperwork to re-register it and to buy the license and to pay for our clean air. 
Sending them a check I just paid for two years worth of license/registration fees and they sent me my new tags.  All of this without even seeing that I had replaced the original torpedo with a much shorter/lighter Harley muffler.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 04:58:52 am
As noted, changing just about anything is breaking federal law.  The stock muffler has a catalytic converter, that does lower emissions some and so they'll be higher with another muffler.  I doubt anyone who pulled you over would ever know or be able to tell if your muffler was stock or not unless it was really loud.  You can always put the stocker in the back corner of the garage and put it back on whenever you need to go for a check.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 10:52:07 am
I wonder of you change to an EFI silencer, or what have you, and the EFI system adapts, then you change back for the emissions test, will the bike have to "relearn" to run the stocker?  Can you change-and-test on the spot, or does it take awhile for the bike to adjust?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 05:55:19 pm
The EFI adjusts fairly quickly to exhaust changes. Usually one ride will do the trick. If you are buying a new bike, EFI is the only way you can go.
As far as C-5 vs G5, if you want a G5, You'd better find one quickly. They are now out of production. Your current choices are the C5 and the B5, or wait a few months for the Continental Cafe Racer.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 08:29:00 pm
the muffler on my 2011 g5 started out on a sportster, and also has a built-in converter. just don't have the baffle, it seems to have fallen out. looks a damn sight better!
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 08:41:29 pm
Speaking of the Hardly Sportster muffler, here's a picture of my G5 with the one I got from one of our great members.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 01:28:17 am
yeah, looks just like mine, but with a cleaner connection. sharp!

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 02:43:14 pm
Thanks for the responses, folks!
I'd expected a difference in emissions with a silencer change and figured I'd just swap out the two when going for my check.
Federal Law CFR 49 mandates the Cat be on any vehicle sold new in the US due to interstate transactions. It cannot and does not bind the end user from modifying the vehicle (unConstitutional) but, as arizoni also pointed out, local laws do directly address and affect your mods, if caught. Most local and state cops won't bat an eye unless you've treated your vehicle so badly it's literally pouring smoke out the pipe.
In any case, the Pole will look much nicer mounted on my garage wall. :-)
Said laws can be ridiculously superfluous anyway.
Metro Albuquerque has several cities, but only the city of Albuquerque requires testing, so when 50% of the traffic has no testing requirement, what's the point, other than to satisfy a vocal minority? ;-)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:38:03 am by heloego »
'12 C5 Classic

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 06:04:52 pm
Mufflers in 2013 in CA are required to have stamps as to their OEM status. If the stamp isn't there, you're illegal. I do know a spot where they actually check this occasionally. In fact they've been checking this at this spot for years and writing a lot of tickets just for not having a stock exhaust system, which has actually been an illegal swap for a long time. The bottom of the eastbound entrance to Angeles Crest has been the spot. Now it's even easier with the required stamp needing to be there.
There is no smog check required on motorcycles at this time.
I usually go up from the east side.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 12:54:07 am
Just a few motorcyclists on that road...

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 02:45:01 am
is not my sporty muffler oem?

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 07:19:52 am
.........the Pole will look much nicer mounted on my garage wall. :-).............

My garage wall is nicely decorated with one too !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

blaisecardoz

• Scooter

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 07:45:55 am
Well, after all, it is California.  ;)
I have no plans to take mine to CA or the LA areas anytime soon.  OK, my Girl Friend is in San Diego so maybe... :)

Just made my buy on a 2013 C5 Friday. Am getting it with a Cobra low-profile seat, have ordered an EFI up swept silencer, and plan to add bags later. Delivery will be in about 10 days, and then I can get familiar with it on the 70-75 mile trip back to home.
One stoked road runner here.  :D
'12 C5 Classic