Author Topic: G5, staying or going?  (Read 6751 times)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 04:25:56 pm
When I made the deal on my C5 I asked the dealer about plans for the G5.
He says they will continue to make the G5, but only the Deluxe model.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: May 08, 2013, 09:30:40 pm
What's the difference between a G5 and a G5 Deluxe?

2 chrome mudguards, chromed oblong side panels, and a half-chrome petrol tank.

We're not talking about two radically different vehicles here. In fact some 'regular' electra's (G5's) have random bits of extra chrome on them anyway.  My 'regular' Electra came with the chrome oblong side panels, and I have seen another regular Electra with an equally random half-chrome petrol tank. it is almost as if whatever is left in the parts bin goes on the next bike being built, and why not? We buy these bikes at least in part for their character, so the odd inconsistency that doesn't affect performance or reliability is only to be welcomed, in my view.

The thing about the Electra / G5 that appealed to me was the taller stance, due to the frame and 19" wheels.  If you are a bit taller, that's a bonus that the Classic doesn't offer. Hopefully the Electra will eventually be replaced by something in the same mould.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 09:22:23 am
I had to do a bit of arguing with m'self when I went to the dealer.
If I could have afforded two bikes I would have bought both the G5 and C5, so I went outside, burned one, and decided on the G5 because they have the 19 inch front wheel now. I'm 5'10" and it will keep my feet flat on the ground while giving the bike a slightly niftier rake, IMHO. Combined with the Cobra low-profile seat I should be good to go. Well, "start" anyway.  ;)

Just heard from the dealer today...
Downside: The Cobra seat is back ordered (even though they verified it was in stock the day of the buy).  >:(
Upside: I'll get a chance to see how it feels with the stock seat for awhile.
Other Downside: Based on some of the members' experience, I may have a substantial wait for the damned seat.

Cross my fingers and hope for the best, I suppose...  ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 04:52:37 pm
Could see some changes now that Polaris has their fingers in the pie.

?? the snow-mobile people ??
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #34 on: May 18, 2013, 12:13:50 am
Yup.  The snow-mobile people.
I've heard they are getting involved in the marketing aspects of it, not the design aspects.

heloego:  Unless your changing the seat for styling, I think you will like your G5's seat.  I know I like mine.
I've had other bikes that had seats that killed my butt after 1/2 hour of riding but I can ride for hours on the seat on my G5 without stopping without my butt even getting tired.

Of course, the ride is the thing and I do sometimes stop just to look at the scenery or to have a smoke but that's a different story. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary