Author Topic: Magnetic or Non magnetic tank bags  (Read 1912 times)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
on: April 29, 2013, 01:35:49 am
I want to purchase a tank bag, magnetic or attached to the tank via straps... All suggestions would be welcome..Im sure there are pros and cons and the members have some great suggestions
Thanks in advance
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 02:07:35 am
I've had a magnetic one for many years and used it on several bikes, it's a TourMaster.  If you get metal filings near the magnets they can get attracted and then scratch your paint.  I've never had a problem with this but it deserves mentioning.  I really like the magnetic bag: quick on, quick off, secure, and leaves no trace when removed.

Scott

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 03:15:52 am
I love my magnetic tank bag. I don't go anywhere without it.

I'm very careful with it, and have even lined the underside with shelf liner as recommended by someone here. But it's still scratched the paint in a couple places: near the tops of the folding magnetic "wings" from when I'm taking it off, and down near the front of the tank (where it meets the seat) because the bag handle flops around.

I don't worry too much about this kind of scuffing. It gives the bike personality. And an Enfield is roughly made to begin with.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 03:32:07 am
Thanks scotty & Rich
http://www.leatherup.com/c/Tank-Bags/2/107.html?gclid=CJWDvtDq7rYCFUFo4Aod_nAA2Q

What if anything do you think of the strap on bag seen in the link above.
It's the one in the middle for 49.95
What kind of magnetic bags do you guys use?
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 08:20:22 pm
I pretty much destroyed a Ducati tank with a magnetic tank bag. It collected a bunch of steel shavings somewhere and totally ruined the finish on the tank.
Once that stuff is on there, it ain't coming off. No magnetics for me.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 08:41:38 pm
I use a Nelson-Rigg magnetic. No worries. Very durable. If you have one strapped on, you will forever be futzing with straps. When I pull up to a place, I peal off my tank bank and walk about with either the handle in hand, or I use the shoulder strap.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 02:22:21 am
I use a Nelson-Rigg magnetic. No worries. Very durable. If you have one strapped on, you will forever be futzing with straps. When I pull up to a place, I peal off my tank bank and walk about with either the handle in hand, or I use the shoulder strap.
I can see myself lose patience with futzing with the straps, so the straps are out.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 03:29:31 am
I pretty much destroyed a Ducati tank with a magnetic tank bag. It collected a bunch of steel shavings somewhere and totally ruined the finish on the tank.
Once that stuff is on there, it ain't coming off. No magnetics for me.
Bare
Thanks for the input and pointers bare...
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 05:04:15 am
Bare is right, and now I keep my magnetic far away from any metal shavings.  Still, any bag can scuff your tank over time, especially if you use it all the time.  If you have a pillion seat and no one is using it a tail bag offers similar storage and doesn't touch the paint.  No clear map pocket though.

Scott