Author Topic: Manual compression release on a UCE  (Read 2043 times)

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 28, 2013, 07:24:28 pm
I'm ready to ditch the auto compression release.  My sprag is acting up and I enjoy kickstarting.  I'm getting sick of having to stand-by while warming up the engine to rev it up when the auto compression mechanism sticks in the morning.  I also don't like how slow the stock auto compression release lets the pressure off when you're pushing the engine through compression to get past TDC where you begin the kick.

I like the iron barrel style compression release but I'm also contemplating the push-button harley/chain saw type of valve due to the smaller hole in the head and lack of cable and lever set-up.  If anyone has any experience with the push-button affairs I'm interested in how fast it lets the pressure release; in other words, when I kick up to compression and then push the botton, can you push the engine through compression pretty fast to get past TDC or does the pressure release painfully slow like the UCE auto affair?  Also, does the push-button type reset when compression is reached or does it need pressure from combustion to close the valve?  Finally, will a push-button relase valve from a chainsaw work or do I need to buy a set of two intended for hopped up v-twins at Hardley Ableson prices?

Thanks all, John.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 11:37:21 pm
 On our trials bullet the standard de comp works just fine with out a cable as a push button de comp.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 11:57:27 pm
On our trials bullet the standard de comp works just fine with out a cable as a push button de comp.
Is that the iron barrel compression release that you're pressing straight down on?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 01:04:30 am
Is that the iron barrel compression release that you're pressing straight down on?

Yes Sir.

De comp is easy to reach and press with the thumb.

Iron Barrel 4speed kick start bike.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:17:44 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 02:14:01 am
jartist,

Please keep us all updated if you go ahead with this venture!  :D
I would also like to go back to Enfield roots and get a manual decomp in this UCE.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 01:24:40 am
Bump. I'm thinking I may try the chainsaw decompresser first at home and if I mess it up there's enough meat left for handing the head over to a real machinist to install an iron barrel type.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 07:01:39 pm
Hi Hi, my C5 auto decomp sticks on the first start of the day.  I've found if the bike is tilted (leaned?) over to the right ie the twist grip side and then the start button pressed, it clacks a couple of times and then quiets down.  its mostly ok when warmed through and doesn't need the treatment.

Cheers, Shappers.