Author Topic: I took the plunge....  (Read 10904 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #45 on: May 04, 2013, 08:48:56 am
Well guys.... I am loving my RE G5 Standard. I broker 100 miles on the odometer today. Im hoping to have ~300 on it by next weekend so I can have the first service done on it and get it a bit faster.

She has been a joy to ride and learn on. Also, whenever I stop people ask me about her. "What year is that, did you restore it?". Its not even the chromed up deluxe and it still gets attention. But most of all I just enjoy riding the RE. Im getting a bit more confident every time. Also, the kinda beat up roads we have in Dallas aren't a problem, it just goes.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #46 on: May 04, 2013, 10:57:56 pm
Sounds like your really enjoying your bike. :)

As for beat up roads, if there are pot holes remember to look at the road on either side of them instead of looking right at the hole.
That way the bike will avoid hitting it. 
Believe it or not, motorcycles tend to go right where you are looking.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #47 on: May 05, 2013, 01:37:23 am
No. The look where you want to go thing is spot on. Its how I get the bike where I want it. So yeah, the trick is noticing the pot holes and then looking at the path around there. Im getting a bit better practiced every day.

Today for some reason, I thought I was feeling a ton more vibration in the bike. Nope. I just for some reason was gripping the handlebars really hard. I stopped that and a traffic light, took a breath and then all was well. I was just feeling the vibration in the grips more because I was gripping too tightly.

Rookie stuff. I have been having a blast on my RE. I am sure I am boring my car driving friends. Cause they just don't get it.

Next I will be getting a full face helmet. I think I will like less wind in my face and a bit quieter ride. We shall see.

Darkside

• Scooter
Reply #48 on: May 05, 2013, 01:56:23 am
Joel, I'm just north of Austin near Killeen. Another north south route you can take is 183 it also parallels 281 and I35 and of course it's lovely this time of year with all the wild flowers.

Cheers
NON TIMEBO MALA.

Fido

• Scooter
Reply #49 on: May 05, 2013, 06:13:02 am
This is about the RE. One of the points I'd make about my Guzzi is that it hasn't changed my enthusiasm for the Enfield. It's a completely different bike. The new V7 is a relatively light machine so it's 750cc engine is more than fast enough for this old timer. Up to 70mph with ease and plenty to come. Great for my longer journeys but round here on New Forest roads the Enfield is just perfect.
New Forest, England.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: May 05, 2013, 03:37:35 pm
Joel - Helmet wise, I use Nolan N104. It has a lot of improvements over their N103. Like - bigger eye port, pin lock, inside dark lens, more padding, quieter, better venting. It isn't a Schuberth, but it doesn't cost $700 either.
Cheers,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #51 on: May 06, 2013, 05:35:01 am
I am loving my Royal Enfield G5. It now has 150 miles even. I just rode around Dallas today. But damn its so much fun to ride. Even in some traffic with crazy Dallas drivers its fun. The more I ride her the more I want to ride her. I have to agree with the guys at RE of Fort Worth, Harley Davidson sells "Cool", Royal Enfield sells "Fun". I have so much fun on this bike. People come up and ask me about her. They think she is some lovingly restored older bike.

Still getting the hang of kick starting her. Also, getting used to getting her on the center stand. But I have to say, every time I get off her after a ride I am grinning. Its just a fun bike. Have I had a crotch rocket pull up next to me and fly off faster than I can go, sure, so what. But I did out accelerate a guy in a mustang from a dead stop at a light. So its just fun. Its not about the speed, its about the fun.

I am still getting used to feeling the vibration of the bike in the foot pegs. It's not bad or unusual, its just different to me, since I am used to a car. I have run into some parts of Dallas where the roads and bumpy and a mess. The RE G5 doesn't miss a beat, or should I say thump.

Its amusing when I start her for people. They always comment on the thump and how quiet it is. But I think that is due to the fact that most people know Harley Davidsons and that distinctive rumble. Well I have to say I am now starting to understand how RE says its the "Thump That Binds".

I'm having a blast. I can't wait till the crash bars, saddle bag mounts, and saddle bags are in. Hell by the time they are I will have 300 miles on the bike and I can get past the first part of the run-in.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: May 06, 2013, 06:54:48 pm
With all the crashing and bashing you do on the potholed streets, one thing that will improve the ride considerably is to change the fork sludge to real fork oil. It's pretty easy to do, only cost is a bottle of 10 weight fork oil. All you have to do is remove the top screws on the forks, then the cap nut from the bottom. Sometimes the cap nut can be a real PITA because the tube that it screws onto will rotate. The easiest way to avoid this is to use an impact driver if you have one. Or since you are taking it to the shop later, get it done there. Put 200 ml of oil in each leg. You will not believe the difference in the ride!
Bare
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:49:59 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #53 on: May 06, 2013, 07:29:07 pm
+1.