Author Topic: I took the plunge....  (Read 10902 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
on: April 28, 2013, 04:35:49 am
I now own a new RE. Its a 2011 G5 Standard in Dark Green. I take delivery of it on Sunday at Strokers in Dallas. I am so very excited. Its a beautiful machine. I have to say it was a surprise to have Rick Fairless the owner of strokers come over and chat with me about the enfield for like 5 minutes while I had some killer chili in the bar.

I am a novice rider, but I am going to be hitting some less busy streets and empty parking lots for a while to build skill.

Its funny to me the affection people have for the Enfields. When I was test riding one and had just stopped in front of the dealership this older gentleman talked to me about his first Triumph. It was fun listening to him. Also, it was really fun on a very short test ride.

Im really looking forward to riding it around town. With some more confidence I will take a trip an hour or so out of town to go camping. I was a bit nervous about buying a bike new that had sat for so long in the showroom. But the fact that I still get a 2 year warranty and that program that RE is doing to clear old inventory by expanding their warranty to more parts helped push me over the edge. Also, the price seemed very reasonable to me.

So hopefully soon I can meet up with other RE riders in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area and we can take a ride.

Anyway, now I am a rider of the infamous thump. Something tells me I am really going to enjoy it. Pictures will be posted on Sunday after I get the bike.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 04:47:09 am
Excellent! Welcome to the Land of the Thumpers!
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 05:00:11 am
Congratulation on your new G5! :)
  I know it's going to be a good motorcycle and your going to enjoy thousands of miles of riding it. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 05:11:15 am
congrats! be prepared for a bunch of interesting impromptu conversations regarding your bike, and tales of old.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 06:42:44 am
Enjoy!

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 11:02:39 am
great choice - how about a photo

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 12:51:27 pm
Joel-

Congrats, and welcome!

I got my license about a year ago, and my first bike was a '75 BMW R60/6, with 14k miles.  I really wanted a Royal Enfield, but I just couldn't swing the price at the time.  Let's just say I got a good deal on the /6.  It was nice, but by the time I got all of the little niggling issues sorted, primarily badly carboned heads and pistons which was robbing power and causing bad pinging, I had lined up my 2011 B5 purchase in a similar inventory-reduction deal.  I sold the BMW (with a clean $1k profit!) and am loving the B5.  The Beemer always felt like it was doing what I told it to do; the RE feels like it's doing what I want it to do.  For riding position and technique, I think it's a great first bike, and as you have heard here, the "old timers" seem to prefer it as well!

ps:  I guess your bike will be a collector's item soon, as it seems as if the G5 is being discontinued.  My first attempt at properly buying an RE was a shot at a used '09 G5, in green of course (my favorite), from a dealer.  I looked at the pics of that bike on the dealer website for 2 months.  When I finally called them, they had sold the bike the day before!  Now the green B5 is available, (naturally :(), but I still am happy with mine!

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 02:34:29 pm
Congrats on the new bike!  I like the G5's, but I'm not a fan of the antiquated tread design on their front tire.  I would recommend changing it at your earliest convenience.

RE-Memphis

• New Englander in Memphis
  • Scooter
  • Surprise, machine gun, and vanish.
Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 02:47:52 pm
Congrats!
2012 Royal Enfield C-5 Military
2010 HD Dyna (Sold & hated it)
2008 HD Nightster (Traded with regrets)
1972 Triumph Bonneville (Still kicking myself in the arse for selling her)

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 03:12:00 pm
Welcome to the Club!  The 2011 G5 is a great bike.

I just rolled over 5000 miles and I have loved every minute of it.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 05:41:30 pm
hey raderj! my 2011 g5 just turned 5k also. mostly commute miles, about 100 per week since last april. all smiles!
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 05:53:59 pm
Way to go Joel ! You chose the right one for sure ! I love my G5, 21k on the odometer and still running like it was brand new ! Many happy miles to you !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 06:04:56 pm
Congrats! welcome to the club and Happy riding
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 12:28:51 am
Rode around oak lawn area of Dallas and environs.
It was a beautiful day. Wind in my face. It's damn fun.

I'm choosing less populated roads.
Still getting used to the clutch. But since it was my first ride on this bike I don't feel bad that I stalled once at a light.

In getting more and more confortable. But I have a lot of practice ahead. I did 45 minutes just in a parking lot, making turns, changing gears and hearing that distinctive thump.

I'm really exited. It is funny. People ask about it and only real motorycle people have ever heard of royal enfield. I got it 45mph. Being real careful not to run it hard before the 300 mile oil change/service.

So far I am really enjoying it.

Thanks to everyone here.

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 05:33:31 am
I put 40 miles on my new 2011 G5 Standard (in green). It is really fun to ride. Still learning but I had fun. Im getting better at shifting every time I am on it. Im glad I didn't wimp out and get a motorcycle with an automatic transmission. They do exist look up Honda Dual Clutch Transmission. But I think Honda my bring more people to riding and that is a really good thing.

Well the folks at rideapart/hellforleathermagazine.com calls the Royal Enfields "The Hipster Harley". Whatever so far I am really enjoying this motorcycle.