Author Topic: Where is best place to ground to check MIL  (Read 2603 times)

mc35803

• Bulleteer
on: April 04, 2016, 04:24:09 am
Finally finished the last ride to break in my 2015 C5 and cut it a little short because just before I got home the check engine light came on.  I have 980 miles on it and battery connections seem good.  I know I'm supposed to ground a wire, and then turn the key to check the MIL codes status and wondered if there is a best place to do it. I've taken the seat off but it does not look like the model shown in the uce maintenance manual.  Biker ran pretty well on the 140 mile ride but several times stuttered at steady throttle and twice lost power. 
Miles

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 05:30:59 am
Open up the left hand tool box and look there. You are looking for black box with a wire that is not attached to anything. You can ground it anywhere
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

mc35803

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:22:11 pm
Open up the left hand tool box and look there. You are looking for black box with a wire that is not attached to anything. You can ground it anywhere

Thank you so very much Kevin!   I bought the bike 400 miles from my home and  I will be posting a follow up here. 
Miles

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 05:54:04 pm
Here is what I had done for reading MIL codes on my G5 - This is part I of II -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I8ipAiZFGs   
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

mc35803

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 06:04:53 pm
Thanks Singh.  I watched the first video before pulling off the seat.  Going to take off the tool cover when I get home today and check the MIL codes.  I love your videos by the way.
Miles

mc35803

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 12:17:19 am

So I found the wires and checked the lights and had 6 long/6 short (Crankshaft Position circuit malfunctioning) and after a delay, 0 Long / Short 9 (Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) circuit malfunctioning).   So....where to begin on a bike that was gently broken in religiously by the manual and advice on this forum and now has 980 miles on it?  It's been working great until this last ride Saturday.  I rode out through country roads and 2 lane rural highways...average speed 40 - 60 miles per hour....rolling hills of northern Alabama (not Mountains) with lots of flat spaces, small towns & stop signs etc...About 35 minutes into the ride, while holding a steady throttle at 55 mph, it hesitated momentarily but continued on...more of a lurch feeling.  I felt the hesitation at other times while slowing down too whenever I eased off the throttle just a little, the engine hesitated and then jumped back up to where it was supposed to be.   At one point, I heard a pop, and the air cleaner cover popped open and the bike stalled at 55mph.  I coasted to the side of the road, looked the bike over, and closed the air cleaner cover as best I could and locked it again...but it never fully closes no matter how much I push in on the frame of the housing so that the cover and  gasket completely fit over the frame of the housing.  The bike started right back up and i went on my way.  I wasn't sure what the pop was and tried to convince myself the pop was the sound of the lid flying open rather than the engine backfiring.  Had several similar issues on the ride with the bike momentarily hesitating.  I questioned whether perhaps I had bought bad gasoline but I don't believe that was the case.  The air filter door housing popped over a second time, and it too was preceded immediately with a loud pop again.  Approaching red lights and coasting, the engine would frequently stop when I pulled in the clutch but restart when I let it out. All this and the MIL never came on.  The bike had oil changes at 300 and 600 miles and the oil level was correct before starting out on the ride.  The bike is my country cruiser as I have other bikes if I want to ride farther or faster.  I just checked and the C5 starts but you must hold the throttle open some to keep it running as it will not hold an idle.  I'd appreciate any recommendations as I was a long ways from a RE dealer before RENA...and even farther now. 

Thanks.

Miles
Miles

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 05:02:28 am
Check my thoughts in the other post about this problem.

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,23525.msg269153.html#msg269153
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary