Author Topic: Free-flowing Silencer query  (Read 13258 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 02:06:52 pm
i plan on doing a 200 klm plus trip tomorrow. do 100klm with the efi muffler's baffle out and the rest of the trip with it back in.
should give me a good idea what one works best for me

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 07:27:45 pm
The EFI has a great sound at any speed. The noise level is very middle of the pack as far as decibels go. Cops don't give you a second look at any speed, unless they are looking at you for a particular "any speed". You can still here it from about a block away puttering down the local neighborhood, but it's such a pleasant thump, it doesn't arouse animosity. Most of the people don't even look around as your thump by. By far, the best sounding pipe I've heard, all things considered.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 03:10:15 am
Goldstar!

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 08:42:22 am
did the 240klm run today - ran without and then with the baffle.
baffle out - pretty loud and ran ok - baffle in - still sounds good and appears to pulls the hill better.
conclusion - baffle stays

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 01:50:33 pm
forgot to mention. with the efi muffler and baffle out i experienced quite a bit of loud backfiring on throttle off.
a couple of times almost like a shotgun.  ;)

blaisecardoz

• Scooter

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 12:32:38 pm
Wow, what a lot of silencer threads all in a row!  Somebody must have posted to each one.  I wish there was a link to a video of an Indore Silencer installation in one of them though.

Wildbill - that must be a pic of your EFI silencer, yes?  Mine just arrived, but it's hard for me to tell what's inside.  It's got a removable baffle in the tail end, held in place by a nut and locking washer:

When I hold it up, or shine my flashlight in this case, and look through it, light shows through clearly (no flash used for this pic):

When I look in the tail end, I can't see anything through the baffle, but through the input end I can see a tube inside, roughly the same diameter as the end pipes, perforated with small holes.  I can also see the perforated screen shown in your pic:

What makes this thing a "silencer"?  Is there some kind of packing material around the inner tube?  Aside from that permanent perforated disc and the removable baffle, it seems like it should be like a straight pipe.  How's it work?

And, are most people running this thing using the baffle?  I want a thumpier note, and a little more umph than stock would be nice; I'm prepared to live with a bit more noise, but loud definitely isn't what I'm after.  Of course, I'm going to try it with and without the baffle, but what has been your experience?