Author Topic: Servicing the clutch  (Read 2226 times)

02Electra

• Scooter
on: April 25, 2013, 03:16:20 pm
Hello gents .

My Enfield (350cc Iron barrel) stood for about 6-7 months leading to the clutch feeling stuck, though it drives reasonably fine. So this weekend i'm going to give the clutch a full cleanup + fresh oil.

Being that this is my first clutch DIY, what pitfalls should i look to avoid? Also, i dont have a torque wrench so how tight (some rudimentary measure) should i set the three pressure plate nuts.

Lastly, is the order of fitment of the clutch frictions and steels as given in Snidal correct for the 350cc iron barrel. I dare say i am mechanically inclined, but just a bit wary as it's my first time. Should pop the cherry this weekend. :D

Cheers.
2002 RE Electra CDI
India

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 03:25:40 pm
Just follow the Snidal manual and you'll be fine.  Also, it might be a good idea to take pictures as you're going along AS/BEFORE you are start taking things apart.  This will help assure the reassembly goes smoothly and correctly without forgetting to install any parts.

And a little hint for when working on something you're not familiar with:
Get a good sized piece of clean cardboard.  As you start to remove parts, lay them on the cardboard IN THE ORDER THAT YOU REMOVED THEM.  This will also make it easier for the reassembly because all your parts are already layed out in order and you just have to put everything back in reverse order.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 03:37:10 pm
Make sure that the steel plates have perfectly flat mating surfaces. Replace any warped ones.
The innermost steel plate has a "dish" in the center, and so does the outermost plate.
These "dishes" go in toward the middle of the plate stack, like this )lll(
Home of the Fireball 535 !

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 03:43:54 pm
Get a good sized piece of clean cardboard.  As you start to remove parts, lay them on the cardboard IN THE ORDER THAT YOU REMOVED THEM.  This will also make it easier for the reassembly because all your parts are already layed out in order and you just have to put everything back in reverse order.

8" x 10" through 18" x 24" cafeteria trays work well for this.  Trays make it easy to pick up and move your parts without disturbing the order.  You can get them in many different colors at restaurant supplies for under $2 each.  I like red and yellow.  Maybe a restaurant you frequent will sell you a couple.  Nope, not cool to steel them from the schools. ;D
Having different colors lets you color code different areas, like clutch parts separately from timing chest parts or two different projects altogether.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:46:42 pm by D the D »
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

jedaks

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 03:42:24 am
Being that this is my first clutch DIY, what pitfalls should i look to avoid? Also, i dont have a torque wrench so how tight (some rudimentary measure) should i set the three pressure plate nuts.

Cheers.

The big centre nut is 40lb. The 3 nuts on the outer plate are something like 7lbs. My torque wrench only goes down to 10lbs, so I just tighten them with a wrench until they feel snug.

02Electra

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 06:06:05 am
Many thanks for all the responses guys :) The forum has been a big support behind me attempting DIY's.

Cheers
2002 RE Electra CDI
India

curtisbelford

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 06:49:25 am
Remember also when you take the three bolts out and then the top pressure plate you will have a push rod in the center. If you remove that rod don't lose the steel bearing in there. There's just the one 1/4in bearing and it goes behind that rod and they sometimes fall out when you take the rod out.   8)

02Electra

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 02:20:04 pm
Bit of an update - Adjusted the clutch exactly as Snidal says and its perfectly fine now. Another reason to avoid the local mechanic. While I was in there adjusted the neutral finder stop and that's sorted out as well , no more poor 2nd to neutral shifts.  Cleaned + greased the rear brake lever pivot and it's.nice and smooth now.

Also replaced the rear brake light switch - what a pain in the arse job.

Once again, thanks to this forum and its members for giving me the encouragement to DIY these small tasks myself. Makes me more comfortable about my motorcycle. Took a ride and enjoyed it a lot.

Cheers.

Edit - clicked a pic after the short ride
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:32:48 pm by 02Electra »
2002 RE Electra CDI
India

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 06:30:42 pm
I had to put on my sunglasses to look at that photo!
ACE Motors - sales & administration

02Electra

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 05:48:16 am
LOL. Kindly excuse my "formidable" photography skills  ;D
2002 RE Electra CDI
India