Author Topic: Simple diagnosis: bike won't start  (Read 9533 times)

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
on: April 24, 2013, 09:14:45 pm
Bike is generally in good repair. Took a normal series of rides on a normal day, parked bike on street, went back to bike an hour later, bike won't start.

Turning the key results in a low buzzing, that's all. EFI seems to be working. Battery is not dead (accessories work, headlight seems normal). Panel appears to have normal power.

Does that mean I have a near-dead battery and the relay to the starter motor can't engage? Or does it mean I have a loose electrical connection in the starter circuit? Did I blow a fuse?

Bump-started the bike easily in 2nd gear and was able to ride normally to my next stop (it's parked outside my work). Assuming I can bump-start it again, I'll get it home.

Incidentally, thanks to whoever explained how to bump-start the bike on an earlier thread. I'd never tried it before, but I did what I remembered reading here and it started right up.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 09:27:42 pm
Turning the key results in a low buzzing, that's all. EFI seems to be working. Battery is not dead (accessories work, headlight seems normal). Panel appears to have normal power.

Does that mean I have a near-dead battery and the relay to the starter motor can't engage? Or does it mean I have a loose electrical connection in the starter circuit? Did I blow a fuse?

Bump-started the bike easily in 2nd gear and was able to ride normally to my next stop (it's parked outside my work). Assuming I can bump-start it again, I'll get it home.

Near dead battery is the first guess. Check its voltage - fully charged new battery is 12.8 volts.

More important is battery voltage when starting the bike. If it drops below 10.5V during cranking of engine, then need a new battery.  It may last a few more days if you keep charging it daily.

Or there may be a loose wire that formed full connection when you bump started it.

Turn OFF headlight before starting and later turn it on.

Sometimes the 'kill' switch can be on inadvertently (even though it does not appear that way). Flip it a few times and then try again.

Also was the NEUTRAL light ON ?  The bike will not start even if the rear wheel rotates freely because the neutral circuit is still engaged. Move the gear lever slightly up or down till neutral light comes on.

Is your bike's side stand switch disconnected ? If not, it is good idea to do it.

Occasionally, the starter solenoid may get stuck. Smack it with the back of a screw driver to release it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:33:09 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 09:43:48 pm
Side stand switch is already disconnected.
Neutral light is working.

I'll charge the bike overnight (once I get it home), and then I think I'll replace the battery, since this is the second time it's ended up unexpectedly discharged. I may have a short (and this weekend in motorcycle repair class, coincidentally, we're doing electronics).

Thanks for the quick response.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 09:53:47 pm
Get a good AGV battery for it. That should cure your ills!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Singh_Chicago

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 03:01:55 am
I had the same symptoms, installed the new AGM battery - much better with that. There is an AGM battery on Amazon for $50, it is working pretty good and retain the charge for long time, Germlin is also using this battery. Check ur battery or buy new AGM

Here is the link.

Enjoy the ride ...
http://www.amazon.com/YTX14AHL-BS-Motorcycle-Battery-Enfield-Electric/dp/B00B5I4IEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366854930&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+royal+enfield

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 03:05:27 am
I'm pretty sure it's the battery.

I was able to bump-start the bike again a couple times but not keep it running long enough to get it home. (It died at a light and reviving it was too hard -- among other things it was 110% humidity today and I'm a big fat guy and it's a heavy bike and etc.)

I left the bike parked on the street, took out the battery, brought it home, and plugged it into the battery tender in the garage. In the morning I'll take it back down.

And I'm ordering a new battery right now...

Thanks all
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 05:20:53 pm
Update: Charged battery overnight in garage, took it back to bike (parked on street) this morning, installed battery in bike, bike started right up, problem solved.

This one is an Interstate Batteries battery. New AGM battery is on the way.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 06:29:22 pm
Keep it on the charger for now.  My failing battery ate my sprag a while ago.

Scott

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 11:18:00 pm
Happened again. Battery is apparently only holding enough charge to start the bike a few times. On my fourth start, this afternoon, it was too weak. Bump-started, rode 2 miles, battery continued to discharge, bike ran rough (fuel not flowing?) then died, couldn't bump start again (battery too dead for EFI?), pushed bike half a mile. I then tried to bump it again and it caught, and was able to ride it almost a half mile until it died in front of my garage.

Put the battery on the charger, and will find a voltmeter. New battery comes tomorrow.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 12:29:08 am
Happened again.

On my fourth start, this afternoon, it was too weak. Bump-started, rode 2 miles, battery continued to discharge, bike ran rough (fuel not flowing?) then died, couldn't bump start again (battery too dead for EFI?), pushed bike half a mile.

Check your spark plug - very likely it has black carbon deposits on it and need a new one.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:48:41 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 12:41:47 am
Have you checked the liquid levels in the battery cells?  Are any of them low?  If so, top up with distilled water.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 01:46:06 am
Rich:
When the engine is running it should be producing enough electricity to keep it going unless your spending a lot of time at stop lights with your headlight on.

Anyway, if you get it running at home and you have a volt/ohm tester put the tester wires onto the battery terminals and set the meter to read DC voltage.

With the engine running you should be seeing at least 12 volts and with the engine running just a little above idle you should be seeing over 13 volts (14 is more likely).

If you aren't seeing this increase in voltage at the battery something is wrong with your charging system.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 02:24:36 am
Yep - good idea, ordered a tester, I'll have it tomorrow
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 07:15:23 pm
In addition to whatever else (if anything else), I found a contact problem at the negative terminal, which I'm fixing. More later when I get my tester.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 07:31:01 pm
Dude, that negative lead is probably you're whole problem.  A few of us have been bitten.  Get some 6ga. 1/4" lugs at Napa Auto, only a few bucks.

Scott