Author Topic: Enfield Deluxe won't kick start.  (Read 3150 times)

jameswilkinson

• Scooter
on: April 24, 2013, 08:27:51 pm
howdy y'all.

ive just bought a Royal Enfield Deluxe, which i am literally wetting myself to ride and am doing my bike test at the weekend.

however having cleaned my bike up, im having issues kick starting it now. I think what i might have done is disconnected two of the pipes by accident when cleaning.

here's a video of me trying to kickstart and failing:
pt1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QGaKB9Qogs

pt2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYm-yMlkCEs

and attached is a pic.

there is also a smell of petrol when kickstarting which im guessing might have something to do with it also.

the more astute of readers might have guessed that i know absolutely nothing about mechanics however i do have breakdown recovery a mechanic friend so any pointers would be very much appreciated.

yours

james

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 08:45:31 pm
Don't worry abouty those little tubes. They are just vents/drains, and are intended to be open ended, or even removed.

Have you checked to see that the kill switch is pushed to the Run position?
Did you put the petcock in the down position, so that gas is available to the carb?
Do you know how to use the decompressor?
Is the spark plug wet/flooded with gas now?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 08:47:55 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:50:27 pm
Hi James - Ace will guide you through this. Your bike is in good hands.
You gotta have sparks. Pull the plug, connect it to the lead, lay it on an engine fin (to ground it). Kick the flywheel through and look for a spark.
If you engine is hard to turn through compression, you have some compression.
Sounds like you have gas.
Report back to Ace.
Cheers,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 09:42:38 pm
Deleted For another day!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:47:55 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Damon

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 11:20:01 pm
James,

Watch this video on YouTube several times and repeat exactly what he does. this is a great video on how to kick start a Royal Enfield.
http://youtu.be/41igYhb_XDg

I think that you are holding the decompressor to long. I have found that you should kick it through until it gets hard and wont move then hold the decompressor and slowly move the kick starter just past, maybe a quarter kick, let the decompressor go, let the kick starter come to the top and kick it hard with out touching the decompressor.

Damon
2005 Royal Enfield Bullet 612 Continental
1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor Mk1
1956 BSA GoldStar DBD34GS Flat track racer
1971 Datsun 510 2-door sedan

jameswilkinson

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 09:25:31 am
Thanks all for your responses so far, very much appreciated.
soooooo
the petcock is facing down and the kill switch is on.
ive watched this video on how to start an enfield and i get everything he gets except for a fire. :-(
http://youtu.be/41igYhb_XDg
there is a bit of dampness around the engine casing where the sparkplug is mounted as per pic attached.

THanks fellas.

james

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 09:35:29 am
One of my mates had a similar problem and we traced it back to the spark plug. It was loose and was wet with fuel. Try what Guaire has mentioned and check for spark.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:08:43 pm by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 02:07:35 pm
Hi James,
A guy or girl with no motorcycle experience might be able to walk up to an unfamiliar bike and get lucky and start it up but not knowing why what you did worked makes it a hit or miss affair.
On a new to you bike you can't take anything for granted. You need to know that the ignition timing is correct, that the valves are adjusted correctly, points gap, spark plug gap all have to be spec or damn close to get any reaction from the machine.
You need to get a good book like the Snidal manual and teach yourself about all that stuff so that you're not just flailing away at the kick starter.
My Bullet was also my first bike so I'm not making any grand claims of being a great mechanic or anything but the workshop manual and the Snidal book were the very first "accessories" I bought for the bike.
I hope this didn't come off as harsh sounding because that isn't how I meant it. Your new to you Bullet will be your faithful and eager companion once you learn her needs and take loving care of her. Good luck.
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

curtisbelford

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 07:26:33 am
When mine wouldn't start I found the last place I looked was the valve lash so give that a look see. You should have "0" lash in your push rods and you can find and adjust them on the right side of the engine as your sitting on the bike. You will see a small square looking piece with one bolt in the middle. And here is a YouTube link on how to adjust them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bmgJPyCUNU

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 11:26:50 am
In the vid it looks like the motor is kicking through as if there was no compression. If this is not down to you hanging onto the decompressor lever too long then lack of compression is likely the problem.

If the motor is healthy you should be almost able to climb up and stand on the kick start as the piston comes up the bore on the compression stroke. The decompressor allows you to conveniently just get past this point ready for a smooth lunging kick.

My tip for starting is to use the enricher minimally. I only use mine for a priming kick through, with decompressor engaged. I pull the enricher back up to the off position for the actual firing kick. My plug will fuel foul in an instant otherwise and the motor would never start.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 04:22:13 pm
I had a no-start issue with mine when I first acquired it.In time, I ended up going through the entire tune up regimen from setting up the timing to all the other little adjustments just as though the engine had never run before.You must have the manuals and go to school on this thing.These are as faithful as your abilities make them.
There are old threads on this forum that will take where you need to go but you will need the manuals to get "on your own".
Good luck,try to stay calm.

Damon

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 11:46:42 pm
Were you ever able to get everything sorted? the bike started?
2005 Royal Enfield Bullet 612 Continental
1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor Mk1
1956 BSA GoldStar DBD34GS Flat track racer
1971 Datsun 510 2-door sedan