Author Topic: Clutch problem?  (Read 2118 times)

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
on: April 24, 2013, 02:49:48 pm
Hello all,

Recently I started facing this weird thing in my bike  :o

Especially when the bike is cold, if I try to pull the clutch and kick the kicker it actually responds in a way as if the clutch is not engaged! I feel the compression and even the piston moves but this stays on for a second or so or probably 1 full kick and then it disengages itself and kicker becomes smooth! Happens everyday during cold start.

So.. does this mean my clutch has some kind of issue ? I am seriously confused >:(

Regards,
Sanket

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 03:05:03 pm
I believe it is called "Clutch stiction".  Basically, the clutch plates stick a bit and that first kick pops them loose to properly operate.

It may be due to needing a slight adjustment in the clutch, but in cold weather it is more likely from the oil around the clutch being cold and creating hydraulic friction/sticking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiction

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 03:56:44 pm
dampking,
I just had this happen too when I installed my new clutch cable.  The cable was adjusted a little too tight.  I've also had it happen in the middle of Winter when I've uncovered the bike to give the engine a few kicks over.

I also had my clutch plates sticking together because it was still super cold, and I have heavy 20w50 in my primary side.  That caused it to feel like the clutch wouldn't disengage when I pulled the lever, but didn't have an affect on my kicker.

I would try a slight adjustment to your clutch cable, as mplayle suggested, on the lower adjuster and see if that doesn't immediately get your kicker doing what it's supposed to.

Good luck,
Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 04:20:29 pm
Thank you all for the suggestions! And yes the cable needs a bit of check-up, the free play is a bit too much in my case. Will get that sorted :)

Thanks again! :D

-Sanket

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 06:06:55 pm
Most bikes clutches will stick when cold. It's a pretty standard. Because of electric starters, most people never notice it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 10:21:08 pm
+1
Most bikes clutches will stick when cold. It's a pretty standard. Because of electric starters, most people never notice it.
Bare

This is normal to me and I encounter it as well from time to time. It's part of my kick starting procedure.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 11:10:40 pm
dampking
It sounds to me like things are working normally.

Depressing the kick starter lever rotates the input shaft in the transmission.
This input shaft is connected to the clutch plates.
With the clutch lever released and the clutch engaged, the rotating transmission input shaft rotates the clutch plates which in turn drive the clutch basket.
The clutch basket is connected to the engines crankshaft with the  primary chain so it drives the crankshaft thru the compression stroke.

If the clutch lever is pulled in to disengage the clutch for the first start of the day, the sticking clutch plates transmit the kick starters torque to the engine until the engine starts its compression stroke.

The increased resistance of the crankshaft trying to compress the air in the cylinder becomes too great for the sticking clutch plates to drive so they will suddenly "break free" and start slipping.

Once this has happened, the rotation generated by the kick starter will continue to turn the transmission input shaft but the slipping clutch plates is as far as the rotation goes.

If the clutch lever is then released, the heavy pressure applied the clutch plate springs keeps the clutch plates from slipping so the kick starter can rotate the engine thru the compression stroke to start the engine.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 07:05:58 am
Thank you for the detailed explanation Arizoni. This cleared a lot of doubts :)