HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Happy boy on RE G5 UCE

in
Members Rides

NField Gear

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2016, 09:13:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Indian Chief build, looking for Information  (Read 3242 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Re: Indian Chief build, looking for Information
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2016, 04:46:33 pm »
Andreas,

this is all wonderful stuff. It's only a matter of time before we see you casting and maching new crankshafts in SG iron - sorry, that's NEXT week!  ;D

Adrian
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Scooter
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2016, 04:25:13 pm »
Who thought there was nothing going on anymore, was wrong! Nothing big though, but a lot of little stuff also means a lot of work. Right now I am preparing parts to be galvanised.

First I clean everything, major dings and scratches are removed, or evened out, brushed and etched in vinegar, to remove rust or zinc and phosphate. After that everything goes into an electrolysis bath, to reduce any left over oxide. Also it neutralises any remaining acid:

Next the residue from the bath is brushed off and the parts are cleaned and oiled. I took pictures of the parts, so nothing gets lost:

Off to zinc plating.
I also prepare some parts to be chromed and these need to have a mirror like finish. I started with the horn bezel. It was rusty and had deep marks. Good luck Lucas was very generous and there was a lot of material to work with file and sanding paper. I had to do over the script a little. It can't be noticed with the "Lucas" script, but I messed up a litle with the "L" of the Altette script... I hope it's not that obvious :oops:

Still more to come...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:27:16 pm by grumbern »

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2016, 05:26:09 pm »
Beautiful job.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

grumbern

• Scooter
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2016, 04:07:49 pm »
Today I made some upper pivot pins. Those aren't availably at HMC, being 3/8-20 BSF with a flat surface milled in the tap. You can actually get these bolts, but too short for the Chief and with a different thread.
That's why I fiddeled with my "Weilers" gears, to get the 20tpi, improvised a 55 angle gauge and ground a fitting HSS tool.
For the bolts I took standard M10x80, milled the hexagon heads to15,2mm and turned the shaft to 9,5mm (3/8").

All to the left the old original bolt:

With the first bolt a had a little accident, that made it unusable, but I only need two after all :wink:

Now I need to wait until the nuts arrive aloong with the other parts from HMC, to check if the taps do fit. If (or when) they do, the flats will be milled and off we go to zinc plating!

So long,
Andreas