Author Topic: Replacement carb  (Read 3450 times)

Dhastings1954

• 98 bullet Deluxe
  • Scooter
on: April 23, 2013, 12:10:03 pm
Good day!
I have a 1998 Bullet 500 Deluxe which needs a new carb. Anyone got a recommendation?
Thanks
Duncan
Vt Bullet

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 01:13:52 pm
I have become fond of the Mikuni flat slide carbs. They are very nice, and they are not very expensive. The round slide ones are even less expensive.

I would say that a 30mm or 32mm Mikuni would be fine. In fact, a 32mm Mikuni Flat Slide carb is what we normally recommend for all Bullets, but we are taking into account that they will stick with the one carb as they upgrade their power levels. IF you have no power upgrade plans which include increased breathing of the cylinder head, then a 30mm would do fine.

You'll need to re-jet any of these carbs, because they come jetted for other bikes which are not like ours.
30 pilot, p6 needle jet, 190 main would probably be a good jetting start for a stock bike and a Mikuni TM32-1.
Pilot jets are 22/210 type
Needle jets are 389 type
Main jets are 4/042 type.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 01:44:47 pm
30mm flat slides are very popular here for good reasons.

They are affordable,effective,efficient and throttle response is improved as is performance. They give good results on both stock and modified engines frim mild to wild.

Noteworthy to mention that the slide is not truly flat but more of a D shape.
This gives the crisp operation of a true flat slide with the forgiveness of a round slide.
 Also the carbs venturi is oval rather than circular. The lower portion is 28 or 30mm for stellar low low rpm performance and it tapers up to 30 or 32mm for improved flow at mid range and top end.

With a free flow intake and exhaust mild and hot ignition a 30mm is the ticket.

With the above plus bigger bore and hotter cams a 32mm would be better.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 04:41:56 pm
The genuine Mikuni carbs are flatslides.  The popular Keihan copies (PWK, OKO) are "D" slides.  Here's a picture of a Mikuni VM-28/418 Flatslide (TM-28) test fitted on my '07 Military.  There's plenty of room if you use a Mikuni flange.  I've since added a phenolic heat spacer for a Triumph I found online.  Using the original manifold with radiator hose placed the carb up against the Tank mount bolt.  The fuel line needed a careful reroute to behind the carb.
Edit:  I turned the choke around to the right side like the original roundslide it came with.
It's only a 28mm but the throttle response improved tremendously.  I'd have gone 30mm, but I had the 28 sitting on the shelf.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 05:00:22 pm by D the D »
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Dhastings1954

• 98 bullet Deluxe
  • Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 03:15:52 am
Thanks for the responses. So Nfield Gear has a mikuni carb kit which looks pretty complete for an iron barrel motor. The blurb does not say what it has for jets. Do you guys know if it comes through properly jetted? I am assuming it will if they are selling it as a replacement kit for thes bikes? Bad assumption?
Duncan
Vt Bullet