Author Topic: Blasting chrome off exhaust and painting black!?  (Read 16005 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 10:53:50 pm
That's good paint.  So far, its lasted several years on my gas BBQ grill. :)

I did some research on that paint when I first got it.
A lot of paints, even some high temperature paints don't conduct heat very well.

It seems that because the Rust-Oleum Krylon paint is made for wood stoves which must give off heat it is excellent for conducting heat from the base metal to its surface.

This makes it very useful for painting things like radiators and air cooled cylinders like those on a motorcycle engine.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 08:15:40 am
That's good paint.  So far, its lasted several years on my gas BBQ grill. :)

I did some research on that paint when I first got it.
A lot of paints, even some high temperature paints don't conduct heat very well.

It seems that because the Rust-Oleum Krylon paint is made for wood stoves which must give off heat it is excellent for conducting heat from the base metal to its surface.

This makes it very useful for painting things like radiators and air cooled cylinders like those on a motorcycle engine.

For an exhaust, you don't want to radiate heat, though, correct?  (Hence the thermal pipe wrap that's all the rage these days...)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 10:15:48 pm
Some people seem to think that insulating the exhaust pipe will gain them a bit of an advantage with their engine cooling.
I suppose some others who are striving to create a tuned exhaust are trying to keep the temperature of the exhaust gasses high so they don't loose any of their volume and velocity.

When one considers the blast of air passing the exhaust pipe and cylinder at riding speeds or the small amount of time the exhaust actually spends in the exhaust pipe I doubt that insulating the exhaust does much of anything.

Personally, I think there may be a similar to putting a 2kg block of ice in a large hot room.  In theory it will cool off the room.  In reality it just ends up melting the ice.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 12:55:33 am
The real value in exhaust wrap is helping keep underhood temps down in performance cars.  Different environment.  I see it on bikes with people who want to cover discolored chrome or stainless.  If someone feels he gets a boost out of it I won't try to argue with him.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 05:27:21 am
Exhaust wrap on bike pipes sure does it's job when you brush your leg against it when the bikes hot.    :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 08:01:12 am
Paint has been applied to the exhaust parts and a few others;

kick starter, shifter, ACE air canister lid, oil dipstick knob.

Turn signals are yet to be done because the bead blaster did some trippy work to the plastic, so I am just going to manually scuff those to accept paint.

QUESTION(s)?

How much is too much, and do I really have to wait 48 hours before re-coating now that my initial 1 hour window of painting is done... These Rattle Cans have some peculiar requirements/instructions.

I know I have seen others on here with military Enfields and mentions of other bikes having the process done to them...

As a side note I used a propane torch on my test subject and it took quite a beating with blue bottle propane, it did eventually cause a burn/peel effect on the paint but according to my handy point and click laser guided temp sensor, it did not happen until the paint reached: exposed-to-flame temp of over 500 degrees... not too shabby since the heat will be indirect heating from the inside of the exhaust and according to my test runs the manifold after a decent ride, albeit at night, only reached into the mid 200s.

Does anybody know for certain the max (or a range thereof) EGTs we might see with a mostly stock bike. Ace can, Jetted, Electronic ignition, and shorty exhaust to be specific...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:08:35 am by GreenForce82 »
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 03:46:25 pm
To take the "Chrome" plating off of plastic parts you can use old fashioned "Easy Off" oven cleaner, or another non-eco friendly brand I guess.  Just coat the parts and let them sit about half an hour and the shiny coating will blister and peel.  You can wipe it off with a paper towel then rinse with dish soap and water.  Repeat if needed.  Wear real rubber kitchen gloves!
1975 XLCH

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 05:13:32 am
Right on bout the oven cleaner.  I will try that. It looks like that where my buddy bead blasted it but it started to punch through the plastic.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 07:07:08 am
Okay so I am bit perturbed, I got the exhaust all nice and purty, and upon final install, I had to use a black rubber mallet on the 'U' bend that routes the pipe down and to the muffler...  Upon getting a good seat of the pipe, with no gasket maker...  I found that a black rubber mallet had chipped the paint and perhaps the chrome off right out in front for everyone to see...

Soooo....  I sanded, and I sanded, and I recoated lightly, and recoated lightly, and I recoated lightly, well you get the point...  But the end result...

A different color. Same can, same bike, same guy, but different tone to the paint.

So my theory is that sanding produced a different surface effect for the paint to adhere to...  DAMMIT! 

So now I have it looking okay, but still it has a two tone look as you follow the headpipe down to the bottom of the 'u'  where is begins to stragiten out and head toward the muffler... 

Arrgghhhhh!

All I can think to do is remove the whole dang thing,  again, and sand it down and paint it...  But I really do not want to do that. I was hoping that maybe I could sand the pipe all the way down til the shady part where things wont be so noticable and repaint most of the head pipe by masking off the bike with garbage bags as I have been doing since I ran into the problem. In the hopes that perhaps I will achive a nearly imperceptible fade from one tone of flat black to another... 

Eesh...  What a pain. Just for a cool looking black exhaust.

However the other parts came out pretty good, I am no pro so their are a couple runs on the kickstart lever but they are hard to notice because they are on the inside 'face' as it were.  The shift lever looks perfect and I even carefully sprayed the slpine shaft to make it look better, and the headlight bezel (is that right)  and pilot light retainers look pretty damn good,  so does the ACE can lid.

One problem is that only one of the headlight aiming screws wants to turn so I will likely have to disassemble that and fix that problem...

Also of note was that the vibration of the exhaust and e swing arm moving had created a 'blade'  on the muffler mounint bracket. That is to say their was a part of the bracket that had continously rubbed on the right rear swing arm and made a 2 inch thin spot on the bracket and also wore down the swing arm a few millimeters.  I hope to have solved the problem by putting a piece of rubber hose over that section of swing arm and taping it i  place with electrical tape, for now. If it holds great, if it moves or fails I will go to more extreme measures.

I just don't want to be hitting the 10,000 mile mark to find the rubbing has destroyed the bracket and wore a hole in the swingarm... 

It ain't internal engine problems but they are still challenges and fun ones at that. About all thats keeping me going these days.

I still haven't named my bike but I am getting close to it, and I still need a gremlin bell. But that is another story.
I
One of my potential names is from a favorite strategy game (yes video game)
GORT...

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 08:30:48 am
klaatu barada nikto
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 03:04:01 pm
GreenForce82 - What your are describing with your paint on the pipe is a very common problem.  First it is next to impossible to get an "invisible" blend line, especially from a rattle can.  Secondly, the reason the paint came out 2 different shades is due to spraying in 2 different conditions.  Temperature and humidity in your spraying environment plays a huge factor in how the paint cures.  Lots of humidity tends to slow down the drying process and will slightly darken the hue of the color.  While spraying at higher temps with lower humidity the paint tends to dry at a lighter hue.  Unfortunately, the only way to get it to be an exact match is to resand and respray the whole pipe.

Scottie

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 11:26:35 pm
I think I lucked out actually the heating process of riding around for a bit has seemed to make the color look mostly ok.  I might re-sand some of the head pipe and respray once or twice more, depending on the outcome.

I looked up the phrase mentioned above, and found that the name Gort was also used in the day the earth stood still. I know that most games "borrow" names from other places but this one I had not heard of yet. Thanks for the insight. I have always wanted to watch both the old and the new versions of that movie.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:33:11 pm by GreenForce82 »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 11:51:32 pm
the old one is a good movie. The new one, not so much. Typical rehash, screw up the story, add a lot of explosions, sucks.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 01:03:33 am
the old one is a good movie. The new one, not so much. Typical rehash, screw up the story, add a lot of explosions, sucks.
Bare

You mean like they did to Texas Chainsaw Massacre?  That remake was total BS.

Scottie

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 08:24:29 pm
Lets stay on topic her guys!  J/K!

I usually agree on remakes sucking more ass than an outta control vacuum at a proctologist office...  (just made that one up myself)

However I will say that JJ Abramsnew STAR TREK was pretty frickin sweet!  I cannot wait for the next one to come out here next month I think... 

I love Simon Pegg (of Sean of the Dead fame) as Scotty, and Anton Yelchin as Chekov, the other main cast was, as expected, popular young mainstreamers,  but did very well I think.

NOW STAY ON TOPIC!  HA HA HA HA HA HA! Or just LOL.