Author Topic: Push Rod Jumped Off  (Read 4404 times)

curtisbelford

• Scooter
on: May 15, 2013, 06:39:01 am
I put my bike in first gear, It back fired through the carb and stopped running. No big deal, I'll just kick it over, First kick usually does the trick. Now second then third then fourth okay somethings wrong. I still have compression. I checked the intake lash it's okay. I checked the exhaust lash and found that the push rod was stuck up in the head so I pulled the valve cover and lifted the rocker arm block check to make sure the pushrod was still straight then I put the pushrod back in place and then the rocker arm block. Next I went to adjust the pushrod and the adjuster fell off the pushrod and I still had about a 1/4in gap at the rocker arm. Any ideas?????? :o

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 07:04:44 am
 Is it possible for the rocker block studs to have stripped and the rocker blocks to have lifted ?
No matter where you go, there, you are.

curtisbelford

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 07:09:59 am
I looked at that and the block is flush with the head all the way around.

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 07:55:28 am
sounds like your valve is being held open, could be something stuck in there or perhaps it got bent....

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 08:02:53 am
check to make sure your rocker has the full range of motion without binding.

curtisbelford

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 08:18:07 am
I was thinking the same thing but I have to use the decompression valve. When I hold the pushrod in place and move the kicker I can see the valve opening up so I'm not sure if that's it. But it sounds good so far. It's using compression valve and the valve opening thing that's holding me up so far. If the valve was bent that bad it wouldn't work at all. Does anyone have a picture of the rocker arm end of the exhaust valve so I can see how high the stem should stick out from the retainer spring? That would help with one answer.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 09:47:13 am
Has the lash cap come off the top of the valve stem? This would cause the need for excessive pushrod adjustment, while maintaining compression. Assuming it has, Take a good look in there, it might still be in the top of the head somewhere, or it might have made its' way down towards the tappet adjustment compartment. A car aerial magnet is good for finding and retrieving small bits from these areas.
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 11:47:41 am
I was thinking the same thing but I have to use the decompression valve. When I hold the pushrod in place and move the kicker I can see the valve opening up so I'm not sure if that's it. But it sounds good so far. It's using compression valve and the valve opening thing that's holding me up so far. If the valve was bent that bad it wouldn't work at all. Does anyone have a picture of the rocker arm end of the exhaust valve so I can see how high the stem should stick out from the retainer spring? That would help with one answer.

Just compare the whole valve spring system to the functioning one on the intake side. The valve springs and retainers and lash caps are the same for intake and exhaust.

Lash cap jumped off is probably the most likely issue.
Other possibilities might be:
Sticky valve
Slightly bent valve
Broken valve spring
Pushrod end collapsing or being beaten down into the pushrod
Bent or stripped pushrod adjuster
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 01:50:22 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

curtisbelford

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 05:31:04 am
Okay here we go pushrods are not the problem. I have an extra and all is good with with it so next I looked at valve springs with a good light and the springs are not broke and the retainers are in place as well as I can see them. As I  said before if I hold the pushrod in place and use the kicker I can see the valve open and close. That's how close my pushrod is off by maybe a 1/4in or less. As for being bent not sure if that's it as I have great compression and need to use the release valve. Witch leads to my next question. What is a LASH CAP? Does it go on the end of the valve stem for the rocker arm? and if so is it on both valves? I did get the head off and looking at it all looks good . No piston damage or any other that I can see just looking. The problem pushrod is the exhaust side if that helps. I keep thinking my problem might be in the cam area someplace if that makes since.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 05:36:08 am
The valve lash cap is a hardened steel cup or cap that slips over the upper end of the valve stem above the keepers.

The rocker arm pushes against it and because it is hardened it doesn't wear like the softer valve stem would.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 07:45:23 am
post some decent pic's of your head/valve spring retainers...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 12:58:08 pm
Okay, all I have is a pic of our Ace valve spring stuff, which is a bit different, but it still has a lash cap.

If you look at the top of that valve, at the very top in the middle of the retainer is a round "button" looking thing. That's not the valve tip. That's the lash cap. It pulls right off, and the valve tip is underneath it.

The regular Bullet has this too, but it's more crude looking.
You can pull it straight up and off with a pair of needle nose pliers.
If your intake valve has a cap on it, and your exhaust valve doesn't, then your exhaust lash cap has jumped off, and it's rolling around somewhere in there. It might be down by the tappets.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:01:49 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 02:37:10 pm
Curtis, #18 in the illustration is what you are looking for. And a photo of a couple caps for reference. You mentioned you have about a 1/4" or less pushrod play. Is your adjuster on your pushrod maxed out? As mentioned above, affirm the cap is in place. If not then it should either be laying there or behind the tappet cover as Ace had mentioned. Had you adjusted the valves previously? The lock nut may have vibrated loose having the adjuster rotate into the pushrod. Have you checked the adjuster to see if something like this may have happened?
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 07:17:23 pm
If not the lash cap my vote goes to a basd pushrod.   I made one motor out of two and lined up all four pushrods on a table to noodle out the good ones,  no two rods were the exact same length. Your pushrod may have been made to be barely in spec and now is useless.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 11:00:27 pm
just some info on the pushrods-
the longer one, 1/4" to 1/2" longer is for  the exhaust. Just in case by chance your sets have gotten
mixed and you've got a short one; intake; on the exhaust side....
               - Mike
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:03:21 pm by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill