Author Topic: carb problems on 43 Enfield  (Read 1979 times)

'45 WD CO

• '43 WD Enfield
  • Scooter
  • 2006 Bullet 500 Deluxe and 1943 WD CO
on: April 22, 2013, 05:28:01 pm
Thought my WD Enfield was a '45, but have been informed by better sources that the frame and engine numbers declare the bike to be a '43.  Lucky me!  Anyhow, I'm having a difficult time keeping the carb in a well-running position (air screw, idel, choke).  The bike had not run in 13 years, so I completely cleaned the carb, installed new fuel lines and relined the fuel tank, and then she ran very well, although normally always needing a bit of choke.  Recently, though, sometimes she gasps for either air or fuel and then dies and is a bair to restart, while at other times she runs just beautifully!  Any suggestions?  Does the amount of octane in the fuel make a big difference to these old bikes/carbs?  Has anyone ever changed the carb from the original pre-monoblock to a concentric?  Would that help?

Thanks!  Bill

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 05:33:59 pm
That might be an ignition problem.  I thought I was having carb problems too.  Turns out the magneto was bad and started firing on only 1 cylinder.  Pull your spark plug and make sure your getting a good solid blue spark before chasing the carb any further.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

'45 WD CO

• '43 WD Enfield
  • Scooter
  • 2006 Bullet 500 Deluxe and 1943 WD CO
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 05:46:55 pm
Interesting!!!  It's actually a very poor spark and always has been!  I've filed and cleaned the points, but would like to replace them, but can't find a pair yet.  Hitchcocks seems to be out for the time being.  If it's not the points, though, how do I determine it to be an underachieving magneto?

Thanks,  Bill

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 06:07:27 pm
Interesting!!!  It's actually a very poor spark and always has been!  I've filed and cleaned the points, but would like to replace them, but can't find a pair yet.  Hitchcocks seems to be out for the time being.  If it's not the points, though, how do I determine it to be an underachieving magneto?

Thanks,  Bill

I forget exactly how to test it, something to do with wrapping a bare wire around the mag body and grounding out the other end.  But what you are experiencing is exactly what the indications for a failing mag.  Hard starting, not running after being hot and inconsistent spark.

I personally just ordered a Thorspark electronic ignition kit off of Ebay.  It's designed to solve the problem of constantly failing mags.  It's very easy to install and has a five year warranty.  It has 2 electronic triggers that replace the points plate in the magneto, you don't need to remove the magneto at all to install it.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 01:04:30 am
Problems with points usually lead to the condenser (capacitor) being leaky or just plain bad. I don't know much about the old war department models. so I cant help much with the ignition on them. I do know that Lucas used wax paper in their old condensers and they weren't known to last long especially with high temperatures (the wax melts).