Author Topic: Killing engine in traffic?  (Read 2699 times)

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
on: April 22, 2013, 03:18:54 pm
I spend a lot (A LOT) of time sitting stopped in heavy traffic -- both at long traffic lights, and in very slow stop-and-go rush-hour traffic.

Assuming a bike in good order, charged battery with a battery tender, etc. -- is there any reason I shouldn't kill the engine anytime I expect to be sitting still at idle for 60 seconds or longer?
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 03:42:30 pm
     It takes about 1/2 hour for your charging system to recharge a good battery from one normal starting attempt. You may run out of battery power. Also, while the starter clutch system is now comparable to Japanese standards, it will suffer premature wear and failure if used to that extent. Then there is the safety issue. With the engine off you have ZERO maneuverability. Not a good idea at any time, particularly in heavy traffic. What if Zombies attack? Or your ex-wife?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 03:57:33 pm
I spend a lot (A LOT) of time sitting stopped in heavy traffic -- both at long traffic lights, and in very slow stop-and-go rush-hour traffic.

Assuming a bike in good order, charged battery with a battery tender, etc. -- is there any reason I shouldn't kill the engine anytime I expect to be sitting still at idle for 60 seconds or longer?

Stop and go traffic or lot of sitting in traffic in idle will drain the battery faster than normal.  Also turning bike OFF and ON numerous times will certainly weaken the battery.

I do a couple of things - TURN OFF the headlight because it takes significant amount of current while sitting in traffic. I leave smaller tiger lights with LED bulbs on. Later I turn headlight on as traffic moves.

Secondly, I keep the transmission in neutral to prevent unnecessary wearing out clutch plates - if I am at a long red traffic light. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 04:56:24 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 04:07:10 pm
Rich didn't mention it in his post, but I'm curious, too... about overheating.  How long can we sit and idle in that traffic jam before we should expect trouble?  And what are the signs to look for?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 05:53:56 pm
I don't think the bike will overheat sitting in traffic unless maybe its 110 out there. These bikes run very cool, and, in fact, too cool in cold weather.
As for killing and restarting the enine, I do it just to save gas at really long lights, or passing trains. Not that the Enfield uses any, but a trick I picked up with my gas guzzling truck. Also turning off the headlight is a good suggestion. 
As for batteries, if you stick a good AGV battery in the bike, you shouldn't have a problem. Those things will work an amazingly long time starting and restarting the bike
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 07:23:36 pm
Rich didn't mention it in his post, but I'm curious, too... about overheating.  How long can we sit and idle in that traffic jam before we should expect trouble?  And what are the signs to look for?

+1 to above.  Keep it running, don't leave yourself vulnerable if you need to move and don't beat up your starter or battery.   These bikes are made to run in India in the summer in city traffic.  I really doubt you're going to overheat it just sitting there for a bit.  I will kill the engine if I'm waiting for a train, but that's mostly because I 'll get off the bike so I can stretch and don't have to sit there soaking up the heat that's coming off the engine.

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 04:58:31 am
     It takes about 1/2 hour for your charging system to recharge a good battery from one normal starting attempt.......... What if Zombies attack? Or your ex-wife?

+3
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 05:00:04 am

In North America, with these engines,  indefinitely.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5