Author Topic: low idle stability  (Read 3022 times)

Singh_Chicago

• Scooter
on: April 21, 2013, 11:14:11 pm
Hi forum need some tips.
Installed a new AGM battery,charged the battery overnight.(I keep battery tender connected all the time)
new motorcycle oil 20w50 synthetic.
checked the air filter and replaced that also.
Changed spark plug NGK

Last couple of times it seems like she hesitates to fire - replaced the sparkplug again with recommended NGK. Everything runs fine no misfiring but at stop light the iidle speed hunts from 900 - 1000 rpm - I have to roll some throttle to keep it running. I rode today also did not hit any stop light so no problem, when I came back in garage same thing idle is not so stable.... any suggestions what to check.

Thanks

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 11:25:14 pm
My G5 seemed to hunt for a good idle speed until I adjusted the idle speed screw in the throttle body.

This is the large brass screw with the straight screw driver slot that can be seen from the top of the throttle body.  You may have to loosen the hose clamps to rotate the throttle body a bit to get access to it.

I ended up screwing it in (clockwise) about 1/16 of a turn which slowed down the idle speed a bit but it seemed to quit searching for the speed that made it happy.

In your case, you might need to unscrew the screw just a bit counterclockwise to raise the speed.

I must admit that even with 9700 miles on the bike occasionally at a stop light the engine will slow down like it's going to die.
A slight 'blip' of the throttle gets its attention and keeps it running.

From my readings I understand that 'blipping the throttle' a bit at stop lights is Historically Correct, being required for 100 years.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 11:40:54 pm
It sounds like it's a idle issue that can be easily remedied following Arizoni's advice.

One other thing to check though.

Out of the box, the NGK plug has a "nipple" on the top.  If left on, the spark plug wire cap fits poorly on the plug and may cause occasional misfiring. 

Singh_Chicago

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 01:14:19 am
Thankyou guys - followed Arizoni's advice unscrewed the brass screw to get the idle speed between 1000- 1200 rpm(it goes up and down between those rpm's), rode it on the street with red lights, it is better than last time and the small blipping at stop light actually works very well.
Attached is the photo of me and my buddy who live in same block riding Bullet's

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 04:40:29 am
Sounds right.  UCEs aren't happy idling too low.

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 08:40:32 am
I haven't ever seen a long stroke engine that was.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 06:49:34 pm
A guy at the local Volvo dealer was telling about an oooooold RE he saw at a meet that seemed to be idling at something like 4 1/2 RPM.  Ok, not really that low but really low and slow and steady.  I think you could do it with a carb and points, but the EFI and ECU of the UCE just don't play well down there.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 07:34:39 pm
From my readings I understand that 'blipping the throttle' a bit at stop lights is Historically Correct, being required for 100 years.

Hardley riders have been doing it for 100 years. Makes me think the junkers just wont idle.
I seldom do it. I don't want to be misidentified!
Bare
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 08:19:08 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 08:48:28 pm
Hardley riders have been doing it for 100 years. Makes me think the junkers just wont idle.
I seldom do it. I don't want to be misidentified!
Bare

+1
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 09:11:58 pm
Yup, lots of old bikes didn't idle well so it was needed.  On a carbed bike that's cold it may be needed and also lets you know when it's warm enough to go.  On EFI, you're just pissing off your neighbors.

A while ago I went to the moto parking lot after work and a few people were sitting there warming up their bikes, an old Honda, a scooter, and something else, all carbs.  Blip-blip-blip.  I hopped on, hit the button, and pulled away nice and smooth.  Got some looks of disbelief :)

Scott

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 05:27:32 pm
That was one of the noticeable difference once I installed the NGK Iridium plug! Idle is so nice now! Punch the starter or kick it, and get a nice even idle. I still wait about a minute to get the oil well circulated before I move on, though.

helo
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 06:44:39 pm
Basically all you need is the NGK and miles! The more miles it has the smoother idling  it gets.
Smoother running, too
Bare
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 07:05:00 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com