Author Topic: AVL Crank Case Catch Can  (Read 2544 times)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 07, 2008, 07:51:02 pm
For those of you who, like me, have over filled your crank case with to much oil please be aware of the fall out from that.

I decided to change the oil all around. Upon preparing for the primary case and removing the oil check screw I had a big surprise when oil gushed out. At first I thought it had been over filled. After mulling it over and remembering other people talking about the crank case vent catch can I investigated the can. After taking it apart I found a vent tube coming from the primary case only going a little over half way up the can. Evidently my over filling the crank with oil on two different times had filled the small can over the top of the primary vent tube resulting in engine oil draining back into and over filling the primary.

Evidently no harm was done, but it seems it could have since upon opening the catch can I found some oil remaining in the bottom which showed signs of having water in it. The catch can has a wire mesh in the top like the old oil fill caps on old cars which must vent a little to the atmosphere. Being filled with warm oil and cooling with out side air available cause condensation. If that were to fill up enough to drain back into the crank could add moisture to the oil. Not good. It showed no signs that that had happened in my case but surely could have.

Two morals: 1) don't over fill the crank and 2) If you have and have had oil in your air filter case, check the primary for over filling.