Author Topic: 7 inch light install  (Read 1488 times)

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
on: April 21, 2013, 09:09:41 pm
Installed my new 7 inch headlight from Nfield Gear.

The old headlight lens had a crack in it from the roads here in Norfolk jarring it so badly. Water got in during a rainy day and shorted the bulbs.

New headlight installation was easy. All I needed was a phillips head screwdriver.

One thing that was very frustrating before I figured out an easy solution: The outer ring of the light has three screw holes in it. One on top and two on the bottom/sides at 8 and 4 o'clock. The openings on the new headlight ring were too small for the screws! 

I just used my screwdriver to spin the holes bigger and it was fine.  The metal is pretty soft.

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 09:48:16 pm
I am trying to post some pictures but the size is too big...any ideas?

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 10:31:48 pm
I had the same issue, but used a drill to slightly enlarge the holes.

I use Paint.net to resize my pics- it's freeware that you can get on cnet or tucows or somewhere like that.  It's got basic photoshop functions which I find useful.  It's about a two-click process to shrink my pics for posting.

That's just one option.  There are probably 100+ programs that will convert for you- I bet you've got a program installed that will do the trick.  If you run Windows, MS paint will do the same thing.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 10:43:33 pm
When I installed my 7" Lucas headlight it was pointing down so badly the main beam was hitting the ground about 10 feet in front of the bike.

I cut the lower two holes into slots that extended from the holes to the back of the rim.

That allowed me to slip the lower part of the light forward so it aimed higher before I tightened the screws. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 12:17:05 am
Hi Sgt Johnson - Try Adobe PhotoShop Elements. Not expensive, but it is comparable to the expensive PhotoShop. Biggest different is pretty technical. Elements works in Red - Green - Blue, RGB only. PhotoShop can work in RGB and CMYK. If you ain't publishing to print, you've just about have the full PhotoShop - the world standard of photo software. Otherwise, there's tons of freeware and shareware.
 Norfolk! I have a cousin in your neighborhood. I drove my Yamaha Radian down there. If I take the Enfield I'll be on Rt 1 the whole way.
Cheers,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 01:28:16 am
Most of the digital cameras I've bought over the years come with a photo altering software package on their CD's.

Some of these aren't the easiest thing to use but after they are figured out they work pretty good.

For instance one of my Canon's came with a program called PhotoStudio.
It does some things so well I use it for some small jobs like editing or cropping a picture size or reducing the file size.
It starts much faster than my Photoshop so it's also handy if I have a 'screen save' that I want to paste into a photo file.

I'd suggest to anyone who didn't download the digital software that came with their camera it might be a good idea to plug in the CD and see what's on it.

While I'm harping, folks should also know that the typical computer screen can't show detail finer than a resolution of 72 DPI so by just reducing that a mega bit picture can be reduced a lot.
Also, reducing the Pixel width of a photo to something like 950 or 1000 will greatly reduce the file size and still make a large picture on a PC or Mac screen.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 01:43:19 am
If ALL you're doing is downsizing then just use Paint.  Just right click the photo and go to "edit".  It will automatically open in Paint.  Just click on "resize" towards the top left and put in the percentage you want to reduce it to.  BE WARNED if you don't like the size, go to "undo" and try again.  Paint is pretty low grade and you will lose pixel quality if you try to enlarge photos.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 04:28:14 pm
Cracked headlight

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 04:30:55 pm
Rear of cracked headlight. The connections were all fried from the water getting in.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 07:28:53 pm
I put in a 7" headlight also. I'm using a diamond cut reflector to overcome the aiming issue-they seem to throw light everywhere. using blue Zenon bulb & Blue LEDs(haunt lights) in the cobra eyes.  To get enough clearance for my reflector, I modified the stock inner ring-cutting out all the tabs, then added a 7" peaked outside ring from a Chinese CJ (BMW copy).  HERE'S A PICTURE...
Best Wishes, Craig McClure