Author Topic: My rev counter project  (Read 8582 times)

Ekatus Atimoss

• Scooter
on: April 21, 2013, 08:38:37 am
Dear forum members,
I always felt the need for a rev counter which is missing on a stock C5 - without any rationale. So it might be vanity, feeling under-entertained while riding, increasing the bling level by adding one more chrome polished item. Don't know. I'd probably starve to death from selling myself as mechanic, but I'm in a daring phase and will try to mount the rev counter myself. Firstly, I got me the 48mm electronic rev counter from MMB, which is adjustable via dip switch. And I got me the handle bar mounting kit as this might be the easiest place for a beginner like me to fit the device. Other potential mounting places would be next to the fork, using a custom mounting plate fixed to the fork top pseudo-filler cap. Or relocate the ignition switch and put the rev counter in that hole, needs a bit extension by using a dremel. Or, replace the info instrument for low fuel warning and engine, find a place for replacement lamps for these two indications and use that hole, requiring even heavier use of the dremel. For a start, to limit the number of error sources, I'll go for the handle bar mounting kit. Electrics alone will be a challenge. See the picture attached showing my friend demonstrating the mounting position on his C5. What do you think?

Regards
Michael
dopo notte, atra e funesta, splende in ciel più vago il sole e di gioia empie la terra
2012 C5 built for comfort, not for speed (click for pictures)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 12:49:44 pm
Nice job.
I think that a rev counter is a very good thing to have on any bike, and a great addition to the Bullet.

After putting one on my bike and getting accustomed to the rpms in gears at certain road speeds, I began to use it instead of the speedometer to more accurately gauge my road speeds.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 01:35:16 pm
I'd like one of these. I can mount it, but that's the extent of my knowledge!
I've downloaded the instructions pdf, but some step by step Royal Enfield specific wiring help would be welcome.
I'm fine with spanners, but electrics is just a black art to me.
Thanks in anticipation of insight,
Will

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 01:54:47 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ekatus Atimoss

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 02:00:47 pm
@WillW if I manage to get it to work... :-)I'll try to make some photo / video documentation of the process. The dip switch config is to adjust the rev counter to different engines, counting the exact number of ignition counts, the half or double the number.

Regards
Michael
dopo notte, atra e funesta, splende in ciel più vago il sole e di gioia empie la terra

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 02:03:09 pm
Thanks Michael.
Just the info on what wire goes exactly where would be great.
Good luck.... ;)
Will

Ekatus Atimoss

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 04:24:12 pm
Thanks Michael.
Just the info on what wire goes exactly where would be great.
Good luck.... ;)
Will

Hi Will!
The rev counter comes with 5 wires, of which 4 wires are used. The red wire is for 12V+ and should be switched by the ignition switch. The orange wire should go to the head light, the black one to ground and white or green to either positive or negative pulse, probably picked up from the coil, depending on the ignition type. Doesn't sound too complicated. I'll look up installation guide lines in the german forum once I got the remaining parts (the handle bar kit). Some of the wiring will be inside the casquette and some beneath the fuel tank, so this has to be removed during installation. Hopefully I can sweet talk my friend into joining me for the installation job with a video cam or photo to document the process for others who might be interested.

regards
Michael

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 04:37:07 pm
Thanks again Michael.
The headlight? There is what looks like an explosion in a spaghetti factory inside my headlight casquette!
Switched by the ignition switch?
Pulse?
Coil?
 ??? :P :-[
Seriously, when I said electrics is just a black art to me, I really meant it. It's a real blind spot.
Actual specific wires, with pictures, would be great if you could manage it.
You'll be my hero and I will be in your debt forever....  :D ;)

Ekatus Atimoss

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 09:36:54 am
Good morning, forum members!  :)

I'd like to give an update on my rev counter job. Mission accomplished. The hardest part is definitely  the wiring and the space constraint within the casquette. I did not dare disassembling the short harness from the speedo but that's probably the right thing to do. Much better to work with the wires on a workbench or desk. I got me the WAGO type 222 terminals , however, decided not to use them due to my already done wire poor cuts and the circumstance of not having disassembled the harness. The WAGO mechanism requires some force opening the clamp while inserting the wire, and the insulation must be cut off exactly by 10mm. Something I found impossible to accomplish in that situation. Replacement harness is already ordered at HMC's.  :)
Even when re-doing the wiring, I'd probably prefer to use "vampyre clamps". In any case, like I did, I'd tape all connections using Nitto self-fusing Butyl tape. Don't know exactly how that works, but looks like magic.. :D
Unmounting/mounting the fuel tank was easy, disconnect low fuel warning, fuel pump and fuel hose, loosen front and rear bolt, and that's it. Used a vampyre clamp after the plug that connects to the coil.
Lo and behold, it's finally working. To me, that's almost a miracle!

tachometer check

Regards
Michael

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 04:26:12 pm

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 06:20:20 pm
Nice job Michael. Mine's ordered as you know.
PM sent.

I gotta tell ya - that Moose is dog ugly on that nice lookin Enfield... :P

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 07:12:02 pm
Nice job Michael. Mine's ordered as you know.
PM sent.

I gotta tell ya - that Moose is dog ugly on that nice lookin Enfield... :P

Ouch!!  I took the Bau Haus approach...form follows function...plus I am cheap.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 07:28:09 pm
Heh Heh... no malice intended.
Each to his own   ;)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 09:33:12 pm
Thanks for the heads up on the tacho Michael. I got the matching clock as well.
My bike, already the coolest G5 on the planet, now even cooler 8)

My bike loves bling  ;D 8) ;)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 01:14:23 am
willw
what is the combined price for the clock and tach - and where do you order them

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 07:06:48 am
Bill,
Here's the link -
http://www.mmb-messtechnik.de/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=20&lang=en&vmcchk=1&Itemid=20

Tacho 85 Euros, Clock 59 Euros.
The fixing kit - handlebar clamp & bracket aren't included in the price - they're another 15 Euros each. That's 30 Euros for each instrument. You could probably find home-grown alternatives cheaper, but might not find the domed cap on the bottom. It's not essential, but does finish the job nicely - and is another step for would-be thieves to overcome..... >:(
The clock also requires a mini push-button for setting the time. These can be got for pennies, or you can do without it completely - just touch the grey wire to earth to move the hands, then insulate & stash it in the casquette. ;)
They are a bit expensive, but are very good quality, German made, and look great. The chrome is good too. They also offer a choice of LED colours for the illumination :D (I got white but wish I'd got yellow - it'd match the speedo light better.
You are limited to where they'll mount on the Enfield bars, but more room for manoeuvre if you mount the clamp with the bracket fixed on top rather than below as I currently have them.
 Email Ricky at MMB, his English is good.
Delivery to UK was quick.
Cheers,
Will
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 02:57:44 pm by WillW »