Author Topic: The 10,000 Mile Question  (Read 1208 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
on: April 20, 2013, 11:37:47 pm
My G5 is rapidly approaching 10,000 miles.

The Nfieldgear catalog has a "10,000 Mile Lubrication Assurance Kit (EFI)" which they say is factory recommended.
The kit consists of a oil filter, a new nylon oil pump gear and the clip to retain it, a new seal for the end of the crankshaft to guarantee that the oil supply from the oil pump goes into it and some O-rings,  but the Owners Manual says nothing about replacing the crankshaft oil seal or the nylon gear that drives the oil pump at any service interval.

I know that singhg5 bought this kit and replaced the parts on his G5 when it reached 10,000 miles.
As I seem to remember, he didn't notice any appreciable wear on either the nylon gear or on the crankshaft oil seal so this brings me to my question.

Has anyone else replaced these parts at 10,000 miles? 
Did the old parts show ANY signs of wear, looseness or deterioration?

Part of me wants to buy the kit and install it because when I do I will be able to install the oil pressure guage I bought from the dealer 2 years ago.

The other part of me says "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Thanks for any thoughts or opinions on this subject. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 11:41:17 pm
I did.  Both the gear and the seal looked fine.  It's preventative maintenance, even RE says so. My thought is do it when it's convenient, no rush to make it right at 10k.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 12:29:34 am
No, not done. It isn't in the Owner's Manual maintenance scheme, nor in the Workshop Manual's.
It sounds a bit as overkill at this instance.

The eternal dilemma: do we pamper them or harden them for the hardships of life?  :D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 01:23:58 am
I cant imagine that oil seal going bad in 10,000 miles. Two stroke crank seals can last more than 30,000 miles and when they go bad only a little bit of air gets in. Ill bet seals that are considered bad in a two stroke wouldn't effect a drop in oil pressure to the bottom end enough to cause harm. I'm planning on doing mine at 20,000.