Author Topic: Fresh plug  (Read 5249 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 03:18:30 pm
I don't understand why you would order a new K&N to replace one you already had. Unless it was damaged those filters will last the life of the bike with cleaning and oiling every so often.

For $10 it's worth it to know for sure, I'm getting the best airflow. I already used the K&N kit, but who knows.

Actually, had you sent K&N an email explaining what was up, they would have sent you a brand new filter for free.  They DO have a million mile warranty and they DO honor it.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 04:46:48 pm
Thanks, I got the a look at the Mikuni pdf. I know the air screw now. After I open the carb I'll know how it's set up.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 05:55:04 pm
Yesterday I pulled the carb. It's a round slide 34mm Mikuni, from Sudco. It's a Royal Enfield setup from Sudco. I just talked to a Sudco tech in CA. The only difference between what I have and their standard RE setup in my main jet. Their's is a 210. Mine is a 195. All other parts are identical to Sudco's standard setup.
  I'll be ordering a rebuild kit. When I opened the float there was something that looked like parmesan cheese in there. Any clogs in the internal air passages could make it run rich. I'll order the 210 main, just in case it takes one to get it right.
  Here's a post from ACE. It's about the Mikuni flat slide. The numbers are different, but I have a round slide.
  It's better that I rebuild this thing than just fiddle with the air screw. Every one here is so willing to help. Better to get done right from the inside, then ask questions.
Here's some of the gunk.
Here's ACEs post....
I would say that a 30mm or 32mm Mikuni would be fine. In fact, a 32mm Mikuni Flat Slide carb is what we normally recommend for all Bullets, but we are taking into account that they will stick with the one carb as they upgrade their power levels. IF you have no power upgrade plans which include increased breathing of the cylinder head, then a 30mm would do fine.

You'll need to re-jet any of these carbs, because they come jetted for other bikes which are not like ours.

30 pilot, p6 needle jet, 190 main
would probably be a good jetting start for a stock bike and a Mikuni TM32-1.

Pilot jets are 22/210 type
Needle jets are 389 type
Main jets are 4/042 type.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 04:56:31 am
It has the large Hex jets, right?
At least it's not full of white blooms and pitted inside, so a good cleaning should fix her up.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 12:31:10 pm
The 34 with a stock bike might like a slightly richer jet like a 200 or 210.
It might not be a bad idea to start with the 210 and work down if it needs leaner.
The 34 has a slightly reduced metering signal at the jet, due to the carb being slightly larger than the port. This means it doesn't pull the fuel up from the jet as hard, and may need slightly richer jetting because of that.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:33:37 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 06:25:38 pm
Ace - Thank you very much for your experienced opinion. I didn't know how this was going to set up. I didn't know the differences between the Sudco/Mikuni 34 for Royal Enfield and the 32mm setups. Now I know what to order from Sudco. Do you sell these Mikuni parts?
I'll be getting the float bowl gasket, float chamber plug gasket, needle and seat, 2 washers. The cable is fine.
  D the D - "It has the large Hex jets, right?
At least it's not full of white blooms and pitted inside, so a good cleaning should fix her up." That's encouraging. I've seen worse inside carbs. Here's a pic of the 195 main jet.
Cheers,
Bill

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 03:16:48 am
Yep, that's a 4/042 commonly called the "Large Hex" Main Jet.  They're common as dirt and easy to get.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 04:22:45 pm
Guaire - That cottage cheese crap that was sitting in the bottom of your bowl is what ethanol blended fuel turns into after it has sat for a long time.  Get yourself a .009 electric guitar string and use it to clean your fuel and air passages as they are probably clogged up with that cottage cheese crap. 

Scottie

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 04:30:57 pm
Ace - Thank you very much for your experienced opinion. I didn't know how this was going to set up. I didn't know the differences between the Sudco/Mikuni 34 for Royal Enfield and the 32mm setups. Now I know what to order from Sudco. Do you sell these Mikuni parts?
I'll be getting the float bowl gasket, float chamber plug gasket, needle and seat, 2 washers. The cable is fine.
  D the D - "It has the large Hex jets, right?
At least it's not full of white blooms and pitted inside, so a good cleaning should fix her up." That's encouraging. I've seen worse inside carbs. Here's a pic of the 195 main jet.
Cheers,
Bill

The jets can typically be bought at any local HondaYamaKawaZuki shop.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 05:07:57 pm
I just got off the phone with Sudco. My parts are on the way.... end of week maybe. Next time I'll check at my local dealer, now that I'm more familiar with the carb and parts. I can just identify things now.
  We sound like a dietary website! Cheeses of various types. I remove all parts from the body and drop the lot in McKay's cleaner. I couldn't remove the pilot jet. I have machinist's screwdrivers, but I couldn't get enough torque to remove it.
  Overall, my worry is getting enough air into the fuel mix. 34mm was the largest VM offered by Sudco. They also had a 32mm and a 30mm. Hopefully, the air passages in the body will lose the cheese and be open, giving the mixture enough air, so I'm not running as rich.
  It's main jet was a 195. I ordered a 210 (stock on this kit) and a 200.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 05:39:54 pm
If you get yourself a guitar string it will help immensely cleaning out all the fuel and air passages.  And strings are cheap, you can buy individual ones from music stores for like a buck or 2 or get an entire pack for $5-$7.  Just use wire cutters to trim them down to a useable length and bend a handle in 1 end to hold onto it.  I used to have to do this to my motocross bikes on a regular basis and they work great.

Scottie

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 03:30:10 pm
Scottie J - Instead of a guitar string, I went chemical. McKay's can't be made any more. I used a Yamaha product. It takes a water dilution at 2 to 1. I tested a NAPA dip can with the drain bolt of the bowl. Ho hum results. I'll use it for hardware clean ups. I let the parts sit in the Yamaha cleaner for several hours and it was okay.
  Sudco (and Ace) let me know the 'stock' setup on my VM34. the 35 pilot jet went to a 40. The 190 main, went to a 210. When putting the fuel line together, I added an inline filter with fresh cables. I dis-assembled the petcock bowl. Cleaned the filter and bowl. The new K&N went on.
  Attempting to start, I couldn't get a start with the choke on. I pulled the plug. It was wet. I blew it with air. Blew air across the plug hole. Checked for spark - good. Kept the choke off and started. Enfield on!
  From there I went out for a warm up run. I had the air screw at 2 1/2 turns out and the throttle stop touching the slide. The Bullet pulled great. No flat spots. After a few miles I looped around to my local dealership, Coleman's in Falls Church. In their parking lot, I set the air screw and throttle stop. I kept the air closer to lean than rich.

Back to the driveway at home. I did an oil change. I bought the 5 pack from nfield for oil changes. My oil filter was black. The old oil was black. In went Mobil 1 V Twin 20-50.
  I lubed the double L shoe linkage and serviced the front brake cable. It was not lubed and didn't give the lever much advantage against the shoes. Meaning = my front brake sucked. It ain't no disc, but it doesn't suck anymore.

At this point, I don't care how the plug looks. The bike runs great. I believe the stock horsepower rating is 27 -28. This engine is a 535. It feels like it pulls at more than 30 bhp.
 Thanks for the help and the encouragement.
Bill