Author Topic: Helmet  (Read 5225 times)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 01:03:29 am
Point taken.
As for me, after dealing with incessant phone activity for 7 days straight, it's really a blessing for me to have the peace of an hour or more of silence when I ride. No wrong numbers, no vendors, no survey takers, no boss, no fiance, no pilots.  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 01:10:36 am
Every now and then I'll bust out the MP3 player loaded with Death Metal and rip up the highway.  But for the most part, I want to be able to hear the cars around me and not be distracted.  Most states it is actually illegal to operate a vehicle on public roads with head phones in your ears.  FYI

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 01:28:23 am
What Scottie said.  Me, my thoughts, and paying attention.  Almost locked up Sunday when an Escalade did a hard left in front of me, but not being distracted I was prepared and had a workable out.  Music or chit chat? I might've been scraped off the side of a Cadillac.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 02:32:18 am
Point taken.
As for me, after dealing with incessant phone activity for 7 days straight, it's really a blessing for me to have the peace of an hour or more of silence when I ride. No wrong numbers, no vendors, no survey takers, no boss, no fiance, no pilots.  :)

I can see where you come from on that point. I don't get much in the way of calls nowadays. so it's no skin off my back. Oh and I can take calls too, although the wind noise makes it pointless past 40 mph. Also the speakers are built into the helmet. They aren't the same as headphones and i typically don't turn it up loud enough to make it so I can't hear what's going on around me as well.
Always prepare for the worst and your surprises will always be pleasant ones.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 11:53:56 pm
Ease up, guys!  benknrobbers didn't say anything about taking phone calls or listening to music - he mentioned GPS and his wife!  ;)  Audible directions, and the ability to communicate with a passenger could arguably remove distraction...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: July 04, 2013, 12:06:41 am
Ease up, guys!  benknrobbers didn't say anything about taking phone calls or listening to music - he mentioned GPS and his wife!  ;)  Audible directions, and the ability to communicate with a passenger could arguably remove distraction...

I don't think anyone was was trying to offend anyone else.  I think Bluetooth helmets are cool.  I'd just rather hear my bike and traffic, that's all.  I mean it would be nice to have turn by turn directions right in my ear.  Personally I'd rather have a map in a tank bag than wait for my GPS to tell me "signal lost" 50 miles from no where.  I'll be honest, I've become TOO dependent on technology.

Scottie

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #36 on: July 04, 2013, 12:24:11 am
I know, Scottie - I did say it with a wink!  He doesn't need me sticking up for him anyway.  I was just elbowing some ribs...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: July 04, 2013, 12:35:15 am
Ahh Haa!  Got it.   ;)

Scottie

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #38 on: July 04, 2013, 12:37:30 am
No worries guys. it's all good fun around here. If I took offense to any of this I'd be a lot less polite.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #39 on: July 04, 2013, 05:33:32 am
When I hear about a GPS giving directions I'm reminded of Noisymilk's tale of him and a buddy riding scooters from Mesa, Arizona into Canada.  (Noisymilk is one of our brother members here on the RE forum.)

After showing several non-existent roads they renamed it "Bob".
Comments like, "Shell we see what Bob says?" became common.

Not to hijack this topic but Noisymilks description and photos of that adventure are great.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690259
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #40 on: July 04, 2013, 06:16:39 am
lol, This reminds me of our gps in my truck. It's a magellan, we call her mag. Mag gets confused and tells us there are roads that aren't really there.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: July 04, 2013, 04:33:19 pm
I use the Foretrex 401 from Garmin. Gives me direction and distance. Roadfinding is my lust and joy.  :D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt