Author Topic: I'm not great at taking stuff apart and getting it back together......  (Read 9136 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Well I passed my Motorcycle Safety Foundation - Basic Rider course.
I know I am still going to need to get plenty of practice. But I am one step closer to having an RE and getting out on the road. Only thing left is getting the written test at the Texas DPS and then buying the bike.

CONGRATULATIONS !! Joel-in-dallas !!!!!!!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:52:49 pm by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
CONGRATULATIONS !! Joel-in-dallas !!!!!!!

+1

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Well I passed my Motorcycle Safety Foundation - Basic Rider course.
I know I am still going to need to get plenty of practice. But I am one step closer to having an RE and getting out on the road. Only thing left is getting the written test at the Texas DPS and then buying the bike.

Congrats indeed!!!

In your first post, you mentioned a weekend MSF class - and I know that this doesn't mean that the class was the whole weekend, but my MSF basic rider course ran two days.  It seems as if different organizations run their MSF courses differently, but in Maine, the 2-day basic rider course includes written and road test equivalents... if you pass the course, you walk into the DMV with the paperwork and walk out with your license.

Is it different in Texas?  Make sure - it'd be a drag to test again...

RE-Memphis

• New Englander in Memphis
  • Scooter
  • Surprise, machine gun, and vanish.
I am sure there are owners out there who don't have some of the issues I see people writing about here.

I’ve actually had zero problems so far on my C5. I’m at mile 1,800 and averaging 200-240 miles a week for my daily commute.

I credit this to the excellent job by Mike’s Ural in TN in assembling the bike and troubleshooting before I bought it.

Tinkering aside my usual checks are no more intensive then the Harley’s I’ve owned, and a lot easier then my ’72 Triumph.

If you have a good shop nearby and keep up on your maintenance schedule there is nor reason this shouldn’t be a fun and reliable daily rider.

Good luck and have fun at your motorbike class.
2012 Royal Enfield C-5 Military
2010 HD Dyna (Sold & hated it)
2008 HD Nightster (Traded with regrets)
1972 Triumph Bonneville (Still kicking myself in the arse for selling her)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
CA MSF courses take two evenings of classroom work and the whole weekend of on the bike training. It does count for the written test.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Congrats on passing the course!  It is the best insurance and performance upgrade you can get and goes with you to every new bike!

Scott

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
In Texas you still have to pass a separate written exam administered by the state. But the MSF class will substitute for the driving portion of the exam. Also, in Texas its now required as the Department of Public Safety no longer offeres and motorcycle riding exam.

Im pretty stoked. Studying and I will get that done this week. Then on to get an RE.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
I worked on my bike, ............ Unfortunately, it was totaled by an overzealous insurance agent..........

That'll happen when you let others drive your bike .....   ;)
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
That'll happen when you let others drive your bike .....   ;)

Ha, he didn't even ride it, he just looked at it very quickly and decided it was totaled regardless of what I said. Bastardo!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Joel may I please ask a couple favors of you.

First please dedicate a few or more rides towards practicing those lessons learned at the MSF to more firmly commit them into your subconscious.

Secondly take the experienced rider course sooner rather than later.

If you get to talking to any honest pilots or motorcyclists one thing you eventually pick up on is good habits learned early on stick with you for a lifetime while bad habits once learned have to be fought for a lifetime.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Trust me. I have found several parking lots here that are very large and empty after 5pm. I will be hitting those a bunch of times, cause I want to get the good habits in place. Also, I will be taking the advanced class before the end of the summer.

Portland Bullet

• Scooter
  • 2011 B5
I am your Oregon counterpart, Joel, having passed the beginning rider's course a month ago (3 classroom sessions; two riding sessions) and just getting my endorsement sticker. I'm checking out a 2009 C5 tomorrow night. Listen to anything Scotty says here - I know I do!

Onward! ;)
The Portland Bullet
To Dream, to Live, to Ride

2011 B5 Bullet 500cc

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Joel,
If your interested in a C5 let me know.  I may know a couple 2011 red bikes that are available.

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
So I now have a motorcycle endorsement on my license. I passed the exam at the Texas Department of Public Safety. So hopefully this weekend there will be a Royal Enfield in my garage. I'm so excited, this is going to be fun.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Congrats, Dude! Welcome to the Fraternity of Motorcyclists. And even more important, Enfield Riders!
The most elite group in the world!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer