Author Topic: left hand side Foot & Stand Mount  (Read 1230 times)

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
on: May 23, 2013, 11:11:08 pm
This mount puts me in a pickle.

The footpeg sat loose on it. No big deal. Got it fixed with nails as dowels.
Found a new footpeg. That too sat loose. I'll stick to my solution. So good.

Here's the pickle. The stud for the footpeg got bent. For now I just moved the peg a notch reducing the distance to the shifter back to normal.
I'm in doubt what would be best: get a new unit or find a welder to drill out the stud and weld in a replacement?
For the unit I have a partnumber (#801574) but can't find that anywhere.  :o
Actually these mounts don't seem to exist except on the bullets that I encounter (classic, deluxe and mine, electra).  :o
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:30:13 pm
You can ask your dealer if the part is in stock and the cost.  If its not in the US or costs more than $20 I'd say just go to a welder.  Much faster.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:32:30 pm
   Well.... if it's that threaded stud your talking about. It doesn't look too bad. I really don't think drilling that thing out is an option.  You could take the hole mount off and put it in a vise. Get a couple of nuts to protect the threads. Heat the  base of the stud or the base of where the stud is bent with a propane torch..... map gas is much better.  And tap it straight with a hammer.  That or get a new one.......
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:34:35 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 12:04:07 am
Yes, that was an initial idea. I shrugged if off for fear of weakening it more to a point it would become unsafe. I stand a lot on the pegs. Just don't know how much they can take.
What would you think?
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 12:22:59 am
  That's what I would do...... It don't look bad. I don't think you are going to be bending it that much. That's a pretty substantial stud. And also, that's why you use the heat.  You soften the metal a bit so it will bend easier, without breaking. Honestly, I think it would take A LOT to break that stud. And for welding in a new one if you have too ? Because it's close to the edge, I might cut the stud off even with the base, with an angle grinder. Then surface weld on top...... likely how it was welded in to begin with. Looking at that stud....... you would have to have one machined up for you. It's only threaded at the end........
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.