Author Topic: I'm not great at taking stuff apart and getting it back together......  (Read 9203 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Yet, Strokers Dallas a royal enfield dealer is really close to me.
So I wont be doing much myself on an RE.

Does that mean that I shouldn't own one.
Are these bikes such that if you aren't a mechanic you shouldn't have one?

This may not be the right place to ask, since all the readers here are tinkerers.
But I just want a fun weekend ride, etc. When the weather is bad or I need to carry big cargo, my car will be doing that. Its not primary transportation for me.

I am looking at a 2012 G5 Standard in dark green. Its pretty and looks to be fun.
I am a big guy 6'-0" tall and 260 pounds. So I think the 19" tires and the bench seat seemed to fit better.

I have my MSF class this weekend at the Harley Davidson dealership in Carrolton. Say what you want about H-D, they are working aggressively to make more folks into licensed motorcycle riders.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Nah. No worries.
The UCE models are geared towards people having things done at the dealer.
In between there shouldn't be too much to concern you. Maybe have the dealer look over the wiring connections and make sure they are good, or re-do the connections that look questionable. That seems to be one of the most common faults that show up with the new bikes, is loose/bad connections.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Blue Loctite on tank bolts is easy and a good thing.

Also disconnecting the kick stand off switch is easy and VERY useful.

Check out Mr. Singh videos on YouTube. They make all this stuff really easy.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
The dealers love guys like you. No need to feel embarrassed by the fact you aren't a mechanic. Japanese bike dealers thrive on customers that aren't. But the bikes are a PITA to work on. The RE's are so easy to take care of, the slogan is, "The bike that make mechanics out of men." If you don't wanna, you don't hafta, though.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
If you want to you can do everything yourself. Start small. Lube a cable!

The thing is, if you do it yourself you know it's been done. You also get to see the condition of the bike.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
 Anyone can learn to change oil and air up a tire.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 06:30:15 pm by REpozer »
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
I put air in the tires of my car. I know how to use a tire pressure gage etc.
But mostly I just want to ride. I wasn't expecting an RE to be a Honda. But I don't want to spend all my time in the garage.

But I know that reading this forum isn't going to give a complete ownership experience, because I am sure there are owners out there who don't have some of the issues I see people writing about here.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
You may have a few teething problems in the beginning, usually things just coming loose while it breaks in.  Get a set of metric wrenches and allen wrenches and go over the bike once a week, check that nothing is coming loose.  If something comes loose more than once Blue LocTite is your friend.  Once you get 1000-1500 miles on it, it should be smooth sailing.

Remember, any forum for any bike makes it look like a turd.  Most of the posts are from people with problems.  People who are just out riding don't post! ;)

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
I worked on my bike, not because of problems,  I wanted to change it into a cafe racer. There were some stock bits that could be improved as I went along, but the bottom line, in 16,000 miles, mine was very reliable. Unfortunately, it was totaled by an overzealous insurance agent.
Now I'm waiting for Enfield #2 a finished cafe racer.
Hoping that it will be as good as the first one. At least, I know what to expect!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Joel
If you know how to operate a screw driver and that turning a bolt/nut/screw clockwise tightens it and counter-clockwise loosens it you have half the battle won.

You might not know this but if your installing a threaded item, always start it using just your fingers and screw it on at least two full turns with your fingers.  Then you can use the tool.

Loc-tite comes in different strengths.  The Blue they mention is for temporary assemblies meant to be taken apart sometime in the future.  Red Loc-tite is for permanent assemblies.  Don't use it.

In addition to screw drivers and open and box end wrenches (usually on the same wrench) its a good idea to buy a inexpensive torque wrench and a set of metric sockets.  Get the 3/8 inch drive size.  The torque wrench will allow you to tighten the nut/bolt to the right tightness without stripping the threads.
A 10 inch adjustable wrench (often called a Crescent wrench) is also very handy.

There!
You now know what you need for almost every task you will ever have to do on your bike.

As for tasks, there aren't many on the new RE's.
Checking tire pressure, changing the engine oil & filter, checking the air filter and checking the spark plug,are about the only things that need to be done on a regular basis and even these things don't have to be done often.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Hi Joel,
I've put 1600 miles on mine and haven't had any issues.  New bikes come with a 2 years full warranty so your pretty well covered.  If you don't mind paying a dealer for your basic maintenance items like brakes, tires and oil changes you shouldn't have a problem.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
I agree that pretty much every bolt or screw on the Enfield tightens clockwise, and loosens anti-clockwise, or as I taught my kids "leftie-loosie, righty-tighty!". 

There is the very occasional left hand thread to catch us out though - such as the left hand side rear view mirror (or was that the right hand side?).   I wonder how many other left hand threads are employed on an enfield?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
I agree that pretty much every bolt or screw on the Enfield tightens clockwise, and loosens anti-clockwise, or as I taught my kids "leftie-loosie, righty-tighty!". 

There is the very occasional left hand thread to catch us out though - such as the left hand side rear view mirror (or was that the right hand side?).   I wonder how many other left hand threads are employed on an enfield?

Are the clutch hub nuts on these bikes left hand thread?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
after you have the bike for a while you might get the urge to have a go at it yourself. plenty of good advice here from clutch lubing to oil changes etc.
after a while you might say - i can do that and no trip to the dealer and a few more $$$$ to buy accessories. lol
go ahead - take the plunge and prepare for fans stopping you to check out your new wheels.

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Well I passed my Motorcycle Safety Foundation - Basic Rider course.
I know I am still going to need to get plenty of practice. But I am one step closer to having an RE and getting out on the road. Only thing left is getting the written test at the Texas DPS and then buying the bike.