Author Topic: 4th gear neutral  (Read 5397 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 07:20:39 pm
When it gets "stuck" the shifter would neither shift up or down.
But it gets back to work by playing around/nudging it a bit, rather
than a hard thud on the shifter. Most of the times, I am able to shift
easily, even if I have come to a complete stop (though I usually finish
my shifting before coming to a full stop). Hope this helps to diagnose
the issue.

Same one I had. Kicking the end of the shaft inward sometimes freed it up, too. But I was just getting ready to tear into it when I crashed it. So, I may never know why it did it unless my new one does it! But as I said, the first place I would suspect is that tang/fork setup at the other end of the shifter shaft.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 11:38:07 pm
Very easy to see if you remove the right engine cover.  If you do it on the side stand you only lose a few ounces of oil. 

Scott

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 01:34:37 am
I had a bad false neutral issue during break in, I even posted on here about it. Oddly, it only lasted a few hundred kilos and went away never to return. I'm not aware of shifting any differently, but......

Hierlekin

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 07:03:49 pm
I too get false neutrals, and while I don't feel as if I shift any differently than any other time, it does make me wonder if there is something else going on. I am still breaking my C5 in, so maybe this is just one of the "annoying little quirks".

Besides, it's only scary when I get a false trying to do something I shouldn't be doing in the first place  ;)
2011 Royal Enfield C5 (black)

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 03:31:44 pm
I'm at 2500 miles on a new (2010 C5 bought new in 2012) bike. I get false neutrals very often when downshifting, occasionally when upshifting. Almost always the false neutrals on the downshift are because I "overshoot" as Barenkd suggested -- for instance, I go from 4 to 2.5 instead of 4 to 3. I've trained myself that, when I hit a false neutral, I recover by shifting up (halfway) rather than down.

Relatedly, often on downshift the shifter will "stick" in gear (I think in 3rd) and I have to gently bump the throttle (with the clutch pulled in) and kick the shifter in order to dislodge it.

The bike is pretty much broken in. I've tried various tricks; these issues have reduced but not gone away. If there's a trick that makes them completely disappear, I don't think I'm capable of that degree of finesse. They don't interfere with rideability or safety, they are just quirks of the bike, so I don't worry about them.

For whatever it's worth, I've also had the occasional false neutral and stick-on-downshift on the other bikes I've ridden (including a Harley Sportster 1200 and the new-from-factory Yamaha Star 650 I rented last week). I'm new-ish to motorcycles but have already learned to accept these as normal facts of life.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 12:26:20 am
Always a good move to shift up if you mis-shift or lose your place.  Less danger of letting the clutch out and sliding the back wheel from being in too low a gear.

What oil are you running Rich?

Scott

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 12:33:12 am
Scott -- I don't know, whatever oil the dealer put in at the 600-mile service. I'll be changing it on Sunday in motorcycle maintenance class. What do you advise? (I'm sure there's already a thread on this, just haven't looked yet.) I run almost exclusively in city traffic with a lot of shifting up and down, and we're heading into the hot season.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 12:40:21 am
Anything motorcycle and full synthetic is fine.  It may help the shifting.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 06:54:54 pm
To be more specific, Mobil 1 V-Twin is made specifically for aircooled engines. Works very well!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com