Author Topic: 4th gear neutral  (Read 5386 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 18, 2013, 02:12:38 pm
lately I've been striking neutral in changes from 3rd to 4th gear and back down from 4th to 3rd.
came in suddenly like last couple of rides. never struck it before ...any ideas

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 02:34:44 pm
Hey  ;)

Clutch cable adjusted at 2-3mm? I think gears 3 and 4 require a smooth, yet a bit heavy movement of the foot with adequate footwear. By heavy, I don't mean stomping, but as we know, these bikes do not have light gear changes as the Jap bikes.

Have a look at - http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12190.0.html

Another trick is when you're about to change the gear, I always do this -
- Clutch lever in
- Upshift (Spirited upshift, not lightning fast like Jap bikes)
- Letting clutch lever out, I still have my foot pressing up against the gear lever till I feel that the gear has been engaged
- Clutch lever fully out, followed by moving foot away from gear lever

It works for me everytime and you can feel it on the top of your foot when you have engaged or not engaged the gear. If it hasn't engaged, I let the clutch lever out a bit, still with my foot pressing upwards on the gear shifter..till I feel the gear has been engaged.

I'm sorry it's a bit hard to explain.  :-X Hopefully other members will have a better explanation. (Refer to thread link above also)

Good luck  :D

Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 05:45:25 pm
It is a slightly longer throw between third and fourth for whatever reason. The shifting cam is probably cut slightly differently.
Make sure your shift lever is in a position to be able to reach the top of the stroke going into fourth. You may want to lower it a notch or two.
It's like the old tale that says if a stairstep in 2mm higher than the rest of them, you are going to trip on it. You are used to the throw in the other gears, then you get to the long step, but just use your normal stroke. You miss the gear.
You'll get used to that extra little bit of lift!
It's one of those little built in character traits!
Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 05:46:54 pm
False neutrals can happen on any bike.  They're more common from 3 to 4 on the Enfield and also more common when the clutch lever is out of adjustment.  Also, make sure the shift lever is adjusted well for the riding footwear you use.  You can move it up or down to gain more room or get it closer to your toes.

Scott
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 07:25:42 pm by Ducati Scotty »

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 07:03:03 pm
Mine goes up just fine, but 4th to 3rd almost always finds false neutral.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 12:52:56 am
Notice which gear it's between when you shift down. Is it between 3rd and 4th or 2nd and 3rd. Sometimes, if you kick the gear lever too quickly, the cam will overshoot the stop and end up past the gear it was intended to go into.
But the long ap in that part of the shifter is the culprit. It gets better as the gearbox breaks in, but I don't guess it ever completely disappears.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 01:32:37 am
I have found that if I hold  the shifter down and blip the throttle prior to releasing the clutch sometimes it will go into .3rd.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 01:39:55 am
thanks for the advise - will look into it

Ekatus Atimoss

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 05:45:10 am
I found the number of false neutrals to go down while breaking in the engine but it might rather be due to unconsciously learning how to shift properly this special gearbox.  :)
dopo notte, atra e funesta, splende in ciel piĆ¹ vago il sole e di gioia empie la terra
2012 C5 built for comfort, not for speed (click for pictures)

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 06:48:32 am
Mine hardly had any issues upshifting, during break in or otherwise,
but I do experience "stuck shifter" seldom during downshifting,
especially if it is coupled with sudden braking  :-[

Can I improve on it ??

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 08:23:58 am
It's always easier to shift if the rear wheel is moving, even just a few inches.  If I get stuck in a gear at a light I just rock the bike back while downshifting.

Scott

whoguy

• Scooter
  • Hi... I love all things Beautiful...
Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 10:34:56 am
Always had false neutrals during breakin.... lots of fun accelerating onto a highway with a semi-trailer commin up quick and hitting a false nuetral! Mine always happened between 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th.

Mine only got better after 5000kms, but really stopped happening at 10,000kms

To ride or not to ride... That is the question!

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 06:05:01 pm
Mine hardly had any issues upshifting, during break in or otherwise,
but I do experience "stuck shifter" seldom during downshifting,
especially if it is coupled with sudden braking  :-[

Can I improve on it ??

It gets stuck usually under quick shifting coupled with abrupt braking, EVEN AS THE WHEELS ARE MOVING. It gives the impression of something being loose in the tranny and something that becomes worse when the momentum is shifted forward under hard braking !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 10:00:47 pm
What do you mean by stuck? It won't upshift or down shift and you kinda have to play with it to get it to work again?
Mine would do a thing like that occasionally. It seems like I was trying into first and it wouldn't go. It also seemed like when it did it, I was applying extrdme pressure on the shift lever.
I was gettingto the point where curiosity as getting the better of me and I was getting ready to take the side cover off and see if I could find the culprit. Unfortunately, it bit the dust before I got a round-tuit.
I was hoping and suspecting it was the fork and pivot arm under the side cover  that moves the shifter cam back and forth, thing the arm is getting on top of the fork sometimes. I put a couple of washers under the shift lever to get rid of the endplay in the arm and that improved shifting a lot, but didn't entirely stop the sticking. It did stop doing it as much.
Anyway, youcan try the shimming trick and see what that does for yours. CHeck the end play on your shifting shift. If it moves back and forth much, mine was about an 1/8," get some of 3/4" washers, enough to take the end play out without getting tight, and give that a try. It sure improved my shifting.
Bare 
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 04:00:30 am
When it gets "stuck" the shifter would neither shift up or down.
But it gets back to work by playing around/nudging it a bit, rather
than a hard thud on the shifter. Most of the times, I am able to shift
easily, even if I have come to a complete stop (though I usually finish
my shifting before coming to a full stop). Hope this helps to diagnose
the issue.