Author Topic: Bridgestone BT45s, first impression  (Read 5342 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
on: April 17, 2013, 05:55:11 pm
I got the tires scrubbed in and got my first chance to push them on dry pavement today.  It was just the morning commute at about 40mph but it was a twisty road. 

I really like the tires so far.  They turn in just a bit easier than the AM26s.  After the first few degrees of lean you can feel that the bike wants to drop into the lean more than then OEM tires.  They Avons were always very neutral.  They also feel more sure footed pushing through a curve.  The AM26s always felt a bit vague to me when leaned over, these are much more precise with no uncertainty.  They hold a line better and just feel more confident.  I never got that confident feeling with the AM26s.

I still haven't really pushed the lean angle and I want them a bit more scrubbed in before I push them hard in the wet, but so far they seem notably better than the AM26s.

Scott

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 06:08:39 pm
same tires my 06 bonneville came with. i rode them real hard with no problems.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 06:17:48 pm
I got the tires scrubbed in and got my first chance to push them on dry pavement today.  It was just the morning commute at about 40mph but it was a twisty road. 

I really like the tires so far.  They turn in just a bit easier than the AM26s.  After the first few degrees of lean you can feel that the bike wants to drop into the lean more than then OEM tires.  They Avons were always very neutral.  They also feel more sure footed pushing through a curve.  The AM26s always felt a bit vague to me when leaned over, these are much more precise with no uncertainty.  They hold a line better and just feel more confident.  I never got that confident feeling with the AM26s.

I still haven't really pushed the lean angle and I want them a bit more scrubbed in before I push them hard in the wet, but so far they seem notably better than the AM26s.

Scott
Scotty,
What are the sizes, and where did you get them from? Id like to keep the reference for my C5 2011.
Cheers
Mark
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 06:23:03 pm
Same sizes as stock: 90/90 18 front, 110/80 18 rear.  I got them at Motorcycle Superstore intending to put them on myself.  They had a super sale on and I got both tires and tubes for around $200 delivered.  Putting them on was way too hard.  Next time I'll just have the local shop order and install them, since I ended up having them installed there anyway.

Scott

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 11:16:26 pm
My electra came complete with toolkit, inner tubes and a full set of cables. For the most part the toolkit is good, but the two enfield tire levers were a disaster. I tried changing a tire on my old 'frannie b' with them, and they pretty much bent in two.  There is definitely a case for carrying spare inner tubes and a pump on longer journeys, but I reckon stronger tire levers are called for - and three, rather than two of them.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 11:40:14 pm
I bought two foot long tire levers for this job, still couldn't do it.  I gave them to my mechanic, I'll never use them again.  The front isn't so bad but the rear is an absolute bear.

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 02:06:10 am
I can vouch for the EMGO 9" forged steel tire levers. Tough as nails and fits in my tool bag.

I'm not sure if they still make the solid ones like I have.

Google search keeps bring up the ones with hex punches in the end.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 08:34:47 am
found this when I went looking for photos of BT45

http://www.ironbutt.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8226&PN=1
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:37:44 am by gremlin »
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 06:41:48 pm
Not a great Bridgestone fan, but after seeing this and noting their response, they can keep their frigging tires! Or should that be fragging!
I've certainly had tires exposed those temps in the past and never had anything crack like that!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 06:56:08 pm
Hmmm..... shouldn't affect me since it doesn't get too cold where I live but thanks for the warning for everyone else Grem. 

I also wonder if this is just an aberration, a weird one off problem.  I suspect we'd hear about it more if it was more common but I also suspect Bridgestone's response would have been different.  It seems in that thread he did get a new Bridgestone, and I'm guessing they gave it to him since I don't suspect he would have paid for another one.

I'll keep an eye on mine.  Odd for a sport touring tire, sport touring bikes are often ridden in quite cold conditions.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 06:56:44 pm
Got to push it hard today on the twisty road to work.  The tires are great!  Where the AM26 would start to feel vague and uncertain when the lean angle got steep the BT45 is precise, confident, and holds a line perfectly.  It also responds well it you change lines mid-corner, no complaints just predictability.  It's definitely less neutral and easier to throw into a turn than the AM26.  Hard braking is just fine too, feels really good and sticks like glue. 

I'll need to get some time on them in the wet but for now I'm hoping spring is here and I won't get to do that for some time :)

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 07:09:55 pm
BT45s are great tyres - I have them on my W650, on which I do not go gentle.. 8)
I wanted some for my G5, currently I use AM26s - also great handling, but I've had some issues with cracks appearing in the treads, and they wear down fast. Avon replaced the last set when I sent them photos.
I seem to remember one or the other BT45s was unavailable in UK, I think the rear but I'd have to check.
I've never heard of anyone having a faulty one - many if not most W650 riders use them & swear by them.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 09:21:29 pm
I think the problems from cold exposure that Grem pointed to are probably a fluke, but still something to keep in mind if you store or ride your bike in very cold temps.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 05:42:04 pm
Totally spanked the bike the other day in the hills chasing a friend on a much faster bike.  When I was done the front tire was scrubbed to the edge of the tread and the rear had less than 1/4" or unworn tread.  I never even thought about the tires, which is a very good thing.  They just stuck like glue and were predictable the entire ride.  This is a big improvemnt over the stock AM26s which were always a little vague and unsettled once the lean angle got even a little aggressive.

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 06:03:46 pm
Inquiring minds need to know ..... Did you pass your friend ?
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5