Author Topic: Am i just begging to lose precious skin/bones using gear like this?  (Read 8917 times)

Hatecamel

• Scooter
Hey guys. I'm not overly concerned with looks but I'd prefer to not look like I just walked off the set of a sci-fi movie when riding the C5 I plan on getting. Are these taking that too far though, as in risking crushing teeth, my jaw or, for the shoes, ankles?

Helmet: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/905/21281/ITEM/GMax-GM-55-Half-Helmet.aspx (not the skull one :P)
Shoes: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/900/42299/ITEM/Teknic-Striker-Boots.aspx

Like I said, I'm not concerned enough with looks to excessively risk losing bone matter but since I'll rarely be going above 70 I'm wondering if these will work ok.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Welcome, Hatecamel!

You'll find all kinds of opinions about acceptable risk limits - you've gotta choose your own.  Personally, I know riding is a risk, but I still want to protect myself as much as I can, so it's a full face lid for me.

I first came across this info and diagram at my MSF rider safety course, and again just recently in David Hough's book "Proficient Motorcycling" (since everyone else, including the MSF, has been stealing his stuff for decades, I hope he won't mind me posting it here!  ;) ):

According to a German study by Dietmar Otte and Günter Felton that was published in The Proceedings of the 1991 International Motorcycle Conference, the majority of helmet strikes in accidents are to the left and right chin areas.

And the accompanying diagram:

Just so you make an informed decision...

Hatecamel

• Scooter
Ouch. 45% more impacts choosing half helmet... I'm going to avoid freeway riding and speeding completely since that's not even close to why I want to ride (or else I wouldn't be getting a C5 obviously :P) so hopefully taking that into account reduces the risk a bit. Still, that really doesn't seem like a fun place to smack into the ground or take flying debris to... Thanks for the info.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Statistically, on the freeway (divided highway) at high-speeds (implying moderate traffic) is about the safest place you can ride...

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Hey guys. I'm not overly concerned with looks but I'd prefer to not look like I just walked off the set of a sci-fi movie when riding the C5 I plan on getting. Are these taking that too far though, as in risking crushing teeth, my jaw or, for the shoes, ankles?

Helmet: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/905/21281/ITEM/GMax-GM-55-Half-Helmet.aspx (not the skull one :P)
Shoes: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/900/42299/ITEM/Teknic-Striker-Boots.aspx

Like I said, I'm not concerned enough with looks to excessively risk losing bone matter but since I'll rarely be going above 70 I'm wondering if these will work ok.

Check out the Bell Pit Boss. This is by far the most comfortable 1/2 helmet I have ever tried. Most 1/2 helmets I have tried makes me look like the Great Kazoo (google image if your not familiar). The Pit Boss was kinder in this respect.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Damon

• Bulleteer
So I know the risks and have both a cheap HCI-50 half helmet and a full face Modular that I ride with, Mostly the Modular, only because the HCI I have found to be a little uncomfortable.
 I have also just purchased a Davida Classic Pudding Basin Helmet for riding with as I have always loved the look of them and couldn't wait any longer.
 Riding is dangerous and I know that, But I also no that everything in life as a small amount of danger and I am not going to be afraid of everything that comes my way. If I am then I would never be able to leave my house and then what would be the point of living??
 I also ride with a vintage style Leather Jacket that has no Armour in it and I also wear Gasolina boots that have no real padding or armour either.

Damon
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:59:44 pm by fvtenfanatic »
2005 Royal Enfield Bullet 612 Continental
1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor Mk1
1956 BSA GoldStar DBD34GS Flat track racer
1971 Datsun 510 2-door sedan

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
I have a Davida that I love. The only thing I dislike about it is that earplugs are mandatory. I usually wear an open face Fulmer. Also a great helmet, and I don't need earplugs. I have a similar Bell 500, very noisy. I have several full faced helmets that I seldom wear, because it's just not stylin'!
I've had two crasheds that my face got into. One was in an airplane where my head ended up dragging down the freeway. As I was sliding along, I was thinking about the fact that I needed my helmet! The other one was the last one on the Enfield when I took a face plant over the bars and face first into a dirt and rock bank. A couple of stitchable cuts on my forehead and bruises around my eyes from the goggles and some bones broken around the bridge of my nose. Obviously a full face helmet would have saved me from looking like a raccoon that had been in a barroom brawl. The Davida probably would have been worse as the padding in the helmet is very old school, cork. They are not approved helmets.
I will replace the Fulmer with a new one and continue wearing it, but...
If your are looking for the best protection, get a full face helmet that fits right and feel good. I have a $200 Bell that I wear when I want a fullface helmet. I also have a Shoei, and an HCI flip front. I've owned Arais and other expensive helmets. Don't use price as a guideline. If it's Dot approved, you are pretty much going to get all the protection you can. After that, it's form and feel. The expensive ones don't offer any more protection. I have smacked some full face helmets from different angles including right on the front, and straight down on top of my head, and they have always worked as advertised. Never any damage to me.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Riding a motorcycle has risk.
Everything can be put to a risk statistic.
I ride in a no-helmet, no-lights on during day required State( as it should be).

Some kind of helmet is better then nothing. A leather jacket is better then a t-shirt, and its been my experience to always wear gloves.
If you wear a soft bottom shoe( like sneakers) they don't protect your feet much. ( I have some broken toes to prove it).
That being said , I usually wear a full face helmet ( its cold here) , gloves, combat style brown  boots, aviation flight jacket( G-1 or A-2) and a rain coat. ( long johns, of course) Mostly for weather.
I don't crash too much anymore.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Oh, as for the shoe/boots, Put your leg up against the pipe when you're sitting on the bike and see if those boots are high enough to come between your leg and the pipe. If not you may want the rethink the height of the boots. I got third degree burns on my leg with short footwear.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Hatecamel

• Scooter
Oh, as for the shoe/boots, Put your leg up against the pipe when you're sitting on the bike and see if those boots are high enough to come between your leg and the pipe. If not you may want the rethink the height of the boots. I got third degree burns on my leg with short footwear.
Bare

Oh sweet Jeebus I did not think of that. I'm one of those people who prefer not to be burned on a regular basis, so you definitely have me rethinking those :P Thanks a lot for the advice everyone. The broken body parts to style ratio is a lot more tilted in favor of the former than I imagined, so I'll probably just get a couple different pieces of gear for different situations like you guys. Thanks again.

As an aside, these verification things are hard as hell. Anyone else have to go through it over 5 times per post? Lol. I always think I finally got it, then it tells me NOPE.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
As a newbie myself, may I ask of you old timers here: is there a way to test helmets for comfort and noise level on a ride?  Do retailers let you do that?  I spent good money on my Shoei Qwest helmet, and while I'm sure it will protect me, and it's comfortable enough so that I'm not tempted to skip it, but I'm not too crazy about the noise level, both behind my windscreen and without it.  Also, it's a wicked fogger.

If you can find a way of trying before you buy, it's a good idea!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Most good helmets have some kind of costumer review on line.

Heck, some helmets have been talked about on this forum.

Been thinking about a new full face for years.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
My old Shoei is very quiet, the quietest helmet I have.
I read a review on the Qwest and they did mention that it was a fogger, however they said it was quiet, but behind a wind screen it was noisy. They blamed the windscreen. However, I'd think a lot of it is with the big air vent below the shield. That could be causing a bit of turbulence. Try putting some tape over that vent and see what it does.
As for noisy helmets, the modular ones are generally noisier than the standard full face helmets' All those joints seem to raise the decibel level considerably.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Here in the UK helmets like the one linked are illegal.

I use a Shoei open face.

As the others have said it's up to you. I ride a vintage(!) motorcycle that goes the same speed as a professional cyclist who doesn't have to wear a helmet at all!!

I also wear kevlar jeans and a new Halvarssons jacket with ancient Dutch para boots. About 4 dollars in your money!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 04:04:56 pm by Lwt Big Cheese »
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
I've got two helmets; an HJC SyMax 2 convertible and a Davida Classic pudding-bowl.  I tend to wear the full-face around town or anywhere that's statistically higher-risk, or in the cooler weather, and the Davida for out on the open road, where the chances of a crash are statistically lower, or for "parking lot" sort of get-togethers where the "vintage look" of the Davida works with the "vintage look" of the bike.

There is no mandatory helmet law where I live, but you'll never catch me riding without a skid-lid.  I also know and accept the risks of riding with the lower level of protection that the Davida brings to the table.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)